1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for Magic the Gathering Players

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BigLoopDuke, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BigLoopDuke

BigLoopDuke Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    This is pretty far off-topic, but I thought I'd get some opinions since I've seen some Magic discussion on this forum.

Situation: A few of my friends that I jam with have been talking about setting up a monthly game night. While a decade ago, we would have vegged out infront of the TV and played video games, we're thinking of something more along the lines of a board game or card game.

Then, the idea was proposed that we start a Magic group. None of us have ever played before. Years ago, I dabbled with Dungeons and Dragons, but Super Nintendo won over.

So, here's my basic question:
    I get that a primary goal is to build a "perfect" deck of cards to win games, but is it possible, just to buy a couple core decks and shuffle the cards and play without a thought-through deck, sort of like playing poker or other card games?

I figured I'd buy a couple packs, and we'd pull them out to play on a regular basis. If it catches on, maybe we expand from there. Otherwise, I'm out just a bit of cash.

2. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    Man. I played that game 20 years ago. It's still around?

3. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Honestly, if you only play once a month I'd suggest you draft or do a seal. It will be much more interesting and won't end up being a "who drops more money in his deck" kind of deal.

I started with Mirrodins and stopped when Ravnica cycled out of T2 (2003-2008ish). After I drafted on and off during the Zendikars (2009-2010) and Scars of Mirrodin (2011) sets. It's fun, but money and time consuming.

4. I assume the core decks are as balanced as there were back when I played more regularly 2003ish so it should be fine. Have everyone pick a color and go at it. It will definitely make things more "fair". I remember playing with my brother who is 8 years older than me with more money so he could buy what ever cards he wanted. Needless to say he destroyed me with his awesome expensive cards :mad:

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    There is a style of gameplay where everyone builds a deck from a certain amount of brand new unopened booster packs. People take turns picking cards and assemble their decks on the spot.

6. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    That's called drafting.

7. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Thanks everyone. Checking it out. I picked up the core set and a deck developer pack. i'm reading up on the draft approach. didn't even know that existed.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I understand that every word of every post so far is in English. The grammar seems to be good. Even spelling seems to be correct. But I have no idea what any of you said. :eek:

9. lakefx

lakefx

Sep 14, 2012
    Eugene
    It's been a very long time since I played magic (I started playing when Arabian Nights came out and sold all my cards about 4 years later). I really liked the deck building aspect, but the cost of getting sucked into a collectable card game can be ridiculous. Another thought if you like the deck building idea is to pick up a game like Dominion, where you create the deck of cards as part of the game.

10. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    We play about once every few weeks or so. As far as I know, we follow the rules well and all. I haven't put much thought or effort into what I'm playing with, but I enjoy the company as much as winning. We've even played with house rules a few times, and those games always get out of hand.

But then again, I also enjoy card games, board games, magic tricks, etc.

Heck, my roommates from my on campus days and I would play board games in the laundrimat to avoid leaving our clothes there unattended.

11. I just quit playing MTG yet again. very fun and intellectual game, but it can very easily turn in to a game of who dropped the most money on their deck. That is the primary reason I quit again. Secondary reason being "table flippers" people who take the GAME way too seriously, not interested. If you suspect someone may be a table flipper, put a squirtle [pokemon card] in your deck and see how they react

buying some pre-constructed decks could be a good idea as you would be able to jump right in, but I second Ziltoid's thought of doing a draft, this will force you to read every card and understand what it does and hopefully you'll learn something.

I played a format called "Peasant" your deck could only have 0 rare cards, 5 uncommon cards, the rest common cards.
    the format "Pauper" is huge in my area, your deck may only contain common cards.

I also used to enjoy what I've come to call "kitchen table" games, basically you can use whatever cards you want and make up some house rules.

to the question posed in your op, are you talking about shuffling the core decks together? that wouldn't work. if you meant buy a core deck, shuffle it, and go, yeah that'd be okay.

12. BigLoopDuke

Jan 2, 2007
    DSM, IA
    Yep. So, everyone would have their own core deck and we'd just go from there. So far, so good. I shot the guys a text with a pic of my core deck and expansion pack and i got a few texts back as they were sneaking into the comic book shop over lunch today.

I think my wife might kill me, though. She puts up with me watching Big Bang Theory and Nova and she's even played along with my passion for drum machines, but this took our relationship into new territory. After staring at the boxes last night for a while, she asked if she could sit in, if it was like poker. I replied, "Sort of, but better." After she flipped through a few of the cards, she walked out of the kitchen saying, "I love you, but I don't always understand you."