Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Mesa owners, or other 'tubers'...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greywoulf, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Been thinking about the new Mesa 300W Walkabout 12" combo system... But I haven't used anything with tubes since my 1970's TV set, and frankly they were a PITA to trouble-shoot and change alla time..

So I guess you know my question? What about this tube thing with Mesa Boogie? I know how great tubes do make the tone, but are they also a maintainance problem?
    How often do they crap out and need to be changed? And are they difficult to get at and change?
    Are the tubes now hard to get?
    (Useta get 'em from any old drugstore years ago :D )
    And are they expensive?

I guess I'm sorta looking for a rundown on experiences with tube amplifiers, and especially with Mesa Boogie amps... (And combos).

Thanks,
    Greywoulf :cool: :bassist:

2. Well, the Walkabout has a solid state power section and a tube pre-amp. Pre-amp tubes will last you a really long time and they are not that expensive to buy. So that amp is not such a high maintanance piece of equipment.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Preamp tubes need to be changed very rarely and cost about $8-10. They are not terribly fragile and very easy to replace.

It's generally agreed upon that tubes are better than solid state, but keep in mind that all tubes and all tube amps are not created equally. Most people here seem to like the Walkabout (I just ordered mine!), but are sharply divided on tubes. Do a search for tubes and you will get a myriad of different opinions. I suggest trying a few and experiment to find what you like best.

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I got to try the Walkabout head when a friend loaned me his late last year. It's a great head! Lots of fat punchy tone, and the 300+ watts sure seemed like plenty of power.

I just bought one of the new Eden WT-550 heads which is also a tube pre/SS power amp type of head. As other posters have stated, the preamp tube shouldn't present a problem. They're low priced and last a long time. Go for it and enjoy!

5. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    "It's generally agreed upon that tubes are better than solid state"

huh? It's one of the undying arguments!

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I had a Fender Twin Reverb guitar amp for about 10 years. Somebody had added a master volume to it, so I played at high gains with the master *way* down :bassist: I replaced the power tubes twice and replaced one preamp tube (I only ever used the lead channel). This may not be comparable to a bass amp since you will probably not be running the amp as hard.