Question for Michael Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by primus_55, Apr 19, 2005.

1. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Hi there.

My name is Alistair Robertson and i am from australia and i am in yr 10. I am in many bands and i am studying yr 11 music performance at the present moment. We have been assigned a task to study high level performance/performers.

I just need some info on how you warm up, what you do whilst warming up etc. How long before the show do you reach your venue etc.

Also i would like to know whether you get nervous or not performing and if so, how you control your nerves/anxiety? And also what is going through your mind as you're playing the gig.

Thank you in advance, much appreciated.

Alistair Robertson
  2. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    ok, can anyone help me out at all?

If you gig often can you please answer those questions!

3. Widener

Nov 21, 2004
    Aptos, CA
    Michael is touring right now.
  4. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    thought he might have been.....

5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Why not post this in a more appropriate forum, instead? General Instruction? Technique? You'll probably get some answers. Or, better yet, do a search on "warm up."
  6. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    My apologies for being so slow to respond! Things have been a bit hectic around here lately. I have a whole system of exercises I use for warming up and building dexterity, Alistair. These are based largely on the concept of selecting a specific skill and using permutation to explore all the possible variations of it. Way back around 1991 I detailed this approach on an instructional video I did for the Hot Licks company (does anyone know if it's still available?) and I still use many of the ideas I presented there.

I generally try to get to the venue about two hours before show time to allow for load-in, set-up, sound check and perhaps a meal before folks start arriving. I like to warm-up for about an hour or so before a show when I have the choice, but can get by with just ten minutes if need be.

As regards performance anxiety, I think it's something we all know well! My goal is to be as un-self-conscious as possible while I'm playing so I can keep all my focus on the music. There are quite a few methods that folks use to help control stage nerves, from self-hypnosis to subliminal messages to imagining the audience naked (never was quite sure how that one was supposed to help!), but I think what's worked best for me is to try to find ways to remove my ego as much as possible from the process - to believe the important thing is to pursue what I love and not worry so much about what anyone else thinks.
  7. primus_55

Dec 28, 2004
    Ok, thank you for your reply.