Question for Mike Manring

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by jayd2010, Sep 20, 2004.

1. jayd2010

Sep 19, 2004
    I had seen you play once at the National Guitar Summer Workshop in Conneticuit back in 1992. You blew me away with the tripple bass playing. So, when I saw your name as I came across this awsome web, I thought you might be able to help me out.
    There was this crazy bass that was made that was actually a guitar and bass put together - not a double neck. I think the maker was called Hunter. I can't seem to locate any info on this subject. It may have just been a custom job. I had seen it in an old issue of Guitar Player Magazine ( '93 or '94 ).
    The question is: Have you ever heard of this type of instrument, and do you know of anyone who could make this?
    Please email me, any info that you have is most appreciated thanks alot.
  2. Michael Manring

Michael Manring TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    I’m glad you’re enjoying Talkbass! I seem to remember an instrument like the one you’re describing, but can’t quite recall the name. Was it the “Guitar-bass”? Anyone else here know? I know several such designs have been attempted over the years, including one that had a kind of square neck with strings on two adjacent sides. You could fret one fingerboard with your thumb while simultaneously fretting the other with your fingers.
  3. jayd2010

Sep 19, 2004
    Thanks Mike for the feedback. I guess I'll keep looking. If anyone knows a good luthier that could atempt such a thing let me know.
  4. It could be a Santucci Treblebass perhaps.
    4 string bass, 6 string guitar with whammy bar. All on one neck, stereo output and really used as a tapper more than anything else. I owned one for a while.
    The other possibility would be a Charlie "Hunter" Novax 8 string.
    I hope this helps,
  5. jayd2010

Sep 19, 2004
    As soon as I read the name it came back to me. Thanks a lot. The Charlie Novax was the one that I have seen a long time ago. It just goes to show you that the hesitation to get the info or knowledge that you need could come back to haunt you. Thanks again.