Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for MM Bongo Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kavorka, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I've noticed that those Bongo owners that post also tend to own Stingrays. I was at GC today playing both and was really impressed with the feel and versatility of the Bongo but, of course, still love the "sound" of the stingray.

Which bass do you find yourself picking up more, the Bongo or the Ray? I'm interested because I want to get one but can't afford both.

Thanks!

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm not cool enough to own either (yet), but I've played both. I very much preferred the Bongo, personally. However, it seems if you want a MusicMan sound, it's probably best to have a Ray too because it looks "standard", rather than an Apollo Mission Toiletseat.

3. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Stale and unfunny toilet seat comments aside, I own Bongos and Stingrays.....well, I should say "Stingray" as I'm down to one Stingray 5.

I'm thinking about selling it to buy another Bongo.

So you can see how I feel about it.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent played a Bongo yet. Im scared to.

:bag:

I dont want to end up liking it.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Don't be afraid, it's a wonderful thing! :D Bongos are truly awesome. I only made the toilet seat thing because as we know, aesthetics are important in the music biz some bands might not be as open to someone who walks in with a Bongo as they might be to someone who walks in with a 'Ray.

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im not afriad of liking the Bongo in particular, im afriad of really liking ANY bass, being as i cant afford diddily.

7. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    You can always sell me the SD :D.

I find I enjoy the Bongo more than the SR because of three main things:

The Bongo seems to be much, much lighter, thanks to the basswood body.
    The neck is way more comfortable, but I'm one of those guys who likes painted necks.
    Three words: Four band equalizer.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't own either, but based on my experience with both, I would play the Bongo more. It gets that yummy Stingray tone, and a whole lot more. That 4 band preamp is killer. I wish I could get one to put in my Nordstrand and my Cirrus.

The Bongo five does something that the Stingray five does not, IMHO. Get the classic Stingray 4 sound. I don't need another five string, but I am sorely tempted to get a Bongo. Fortunately, I can't afford one.

9. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    if only they came in six string :D

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The SD is an incredible quality bass for the money. I have yet to play any similiarly styled bass that i enjoyed more. It perhaps is the only reason im not in tears from GAS right now, heh. There are so many basses i wish i could afford though :p.

I want to try a Bongo though... :(

11. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I briefly owned two Bongos, a 4 and a 5, each of which I returned - but NOT because they were bad instruments.

I wanted to fall in love with the 5 but simply didn't dig the feel and sound of the B, and the 4 was just an extra "toy" that I didn't really need to have spent the money on. (this was 2 separate times here)

I would definitely buy the 4 again given the disposable income to do so - and I'd try the 5 with perhaps a different style of string.

That said, I discovered recently that a Stingray 5 has beautiful feel and sound as well, I hadn't played one before. My vote for a 5 goes Stingray, but Bongo wins the 4 easily (actually tied with a Sterling).

Just wanted to post a non-lovefest opinion. I liked the Bongo though. The versatility is second to none, so buy one if you like the feel of the B on the 5, and DEFINITELY buy one if you're after a 4.

12. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Big +1 on that.

13. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas

:p That pretty much says it all, I think! Thank you, and I also checked your website when I was considering these basses and your site had great info! I didn't get much time to play the Bongo (I was busy being insulted by GC on a trade in offer) but got it pretty close to the Ray sound. Plus, I actually like the look of the Bongo.

14. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I tried the 4 and 5 on both models and agree with you. I liked the B on the Ray better but I'm actually moving back towards a 4-string these days. Been playing a Roscoe 5 for a while but, maybe I'm getting old or not practicing properly, my right hand has been fatiguing quickly and find the 4 provides more comfort.

Thank you for the info!

15. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've never had the chance to play a 'ray with a decent setup so I can't comment on them. I do own a Bongo 4 string and I love its punchy sound. Definitely a keeper in my book.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out these two pics and tell me my Bongo isn't a great fit for a metal band; it's black, the dual humbuckers looked like crazy spiked leather bracelets, and the pickguard looks like evil morning mist.

Oh yeah, no one in my band has made a single crack about the shape. They love the tone though.

16. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I think people who hear them quickly forget their reaction to its visual appearance. Great looking Bongo, by the way!

17. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    No lefty Bongos yet. :rollno: :scowl: :(

18. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Thanks Kavorka!

Whatever you get, you know the drill, post pics! :)

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    And give me a yell if anyone wants a rather light (9 lbs) natural finish SR5 with rosewood neck. It's minty fresh!

I can no longer resist the call of the single PU bongo.

BTW, I disagree about the B string being better on the SR5. I find them both very, very good. There are a lot of variables, though, as mentioned. Mostly strings. That can make or break how a bass feels to you, and I know you know that.