Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for MTD owners/dealers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pd_5string, Sep 5, 2002.

1. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hey folks

You see in the picture below, the part of the finish that is right under the horn, battery cover, and electronics cover (three different spots)? It almost looks like Tobias "missed" a spot in the amber stain...is this normal, a flaw, or what? It looks this way no matter what angle you hold it at, so it isn't optical.

[​IMG]

It almost looks like in the finishing process it was rubbed too hard and got rid of some of the stain or something...maybe I am being too picky??

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It's your money, be as picky as you feel is warranted.

IMO it's not supposed to be a solid stain. Looks fine to me. Of course that has no bearing on how you should feel. Why not just ask Mike?

Looks like a sweet bass.

3. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I'm not an owner or dealer, but I've seen the Bass Central showcase. It appears to me he is trying to go darker to lighter, more or less a border around the contours of the bass. Remember his green and yellow bass? I would worry if the wood was flawed. I can't see Tobias slapping a stain on in an afternoon and saying, "well, that's done." These guys are artists and craftsmen. I would wager he wanted it that way. Why don't you ask him?

4. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    I did and got a response in about 20 minutes, at 10:30 pm no doubt. Damn, now that is soivice!

Basically he went through how he hand finishes the basses and how different parts of the wood, specifically the edges absorb the stains at different rates. I would assume that you get "cold spots" where the stain doesn't take as well...he explained that doing the stain by spraying it would make it look more uniform, but by hand that is the nature of the beast. I think for this bass I would prefer the hand approach and not look for a paint/stain job that looked like it was done by a machine.

5. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Hi Kong, can you take a pic and slap that up here so I can look? Thanks! :)

6. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Good deal. Now you know. I think it looks great.

7. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    looks like the whole horn is a little lighter? Am I seeing that right?

My spots are really small right on the edges in the contours...On the bottom of the horn, under the battery cover on the edge of the bass, and under the electronics cover on the edge of the bass...

Damn your bass looks sweet, that looks like that dark cherry burst...is that a 24 fret?

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    It'sl ike how most burst finishes look without the gloss.I wouln't worry about it .I've seen a bunch of MTD's and your's look as good as any.I don't think its a flaw.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey PD,

Like we say here in Hawaii, "hey bruddah, hang loose, it ain't no big thing!"

and in the words of a soul brother, "don't worry, be happy!"

I think the uneven assymetrical quality of mike's finishes are part of his art. My first inclination upon seeing your bass was to assume that the wood absorbed the stain in an assymetrical manner, which is OK. It makes the bass unqiue.

Check out my MTD, notice how the dark stain is accentuated at the upper horn and in the mid section. This may also be due to the stain absorption issue.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i think its part of getting a handmade bass- with a hand rubbed finish- i also think its very cool, not a flaw at all- my mtd's past and future have all been natural, with the exception of an amber 635 a while back. the irregularities in the shading and grain is something i love. The weirder the better.

11. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better now !

12. pd_5string

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Cool...I also like the irregularities, but for some reason this particular one seemed to me to be just a finish issue, rather than a grain issue. I also see that it occurs in the same spots on the top edge of the bass too, so it must be how the stain soaked in where the angles and countours are. At least it is consistent! :D

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

14. I can't wait 'til I'm rich (so I can get an MTD for myself).:)