Question for MXR Bass Octave Deluxe and P bass users

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by the low one, Sep 28, 2017.

1. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Using my MXR Bass Octave Deluxe recently with a P bass and the sound guy said there was too much mid boost when I used it. I generally set all the knobs roughly at 12:00 with the mod boost on. The mid boost is at factory default so about 9 db (half way on the trim) boost at 400hz. So I ended up backing off the dry to about 10:00 with the mid boost still on and it did the trick.

I have tried the mid boost at the 850hz setting but it just seems to lose some punch in the mix then, even though it sounds better at that frequency when playing on my own.

If you're using a P style bass, or a J with both of neck pickup, how do set the mid boost?

2. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    Check out Victor Broden using the BOD at 7:58. He engages the mid button but I can't work out which setting it's at.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't have the BOD but I have the Sub Octave Bass Fuzz, which has the Growl side of the BOD in it with the mid thingie. I don't use the mid thingie at all for that exact reason. It's just way too middy for me with any boost no matter what the frequency. I get why they added it...to make your clean sound pop out from the octave sound...but while your mileage may vary, I think it's better to just adjust your volume on the octave down to where your bass pops out at a level you like. A little extra mid goes a very long way.