Question for Nashville and Country Bassists

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mchildree, May 20, 2002.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    For all you guys that live in Nashville: how common is it to get a gig at the Ryman Auditorium?

This past weekend, my bluegrass band played a gig at the Opry Mills Mall, on the "entertainment court" stage. Afterward, a guy came up and asked if we'd like to play at the Ryman...we just kind of blew him off, none of us ever figured we'd get to play there in this lifetime. Today, I came home, and there's a message from the guy on my machine. I return the call, and he booked us for a Vince Gill show on the 20th of June. We're not openers, but are playing in the "parlor" (lobby) before the show.'s the Ryman...for a bluegrass band, that's like Yankee Stadium. At an expected sell-out Vince Gill bluegrass show besides....

I had to wonder how many local Nashville bands would like to have that gig and why they chose us. We ain't exactly cheap, and we're 400 miles away. Is there a down side to this that I'm not aware of? Is this one of those gigs that the local bands won't take for some reason?
  2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmmm ... lemme know if you guys can't make it. We'll drive from California.
  3. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    We're from the cultural hell-hole of Phenix City, AL :)

I guess we'll enjoy it. We generally have a really good time when we gig anyway. I just can't help but feel a little guilty, though...I've got friends in Nashvegas that have been slogging through crappy day-jobs, trying to break into the scene up there for years. Here I am in a band that has no desire for a record deal or full-time touring and we're getting choice gigs.