1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for non-Motorcyclists: How do you feel about...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by McHaven, May 10, 2010.

1. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Loud exhaust pipes?

Loud exhaust pipes is a divisive issue in the motorcycling world. There are 2 main camps. One is pro-volume and go with the slogan "Loud Pipes Save Lives". The otherside believes "Loud Pipes Risk Rights".

I am curious to see what my nonriding TB brethren think about the issue.

The loud exhaust is typically created by removing the muffler. In many states this is illegal and most manufacturers do not produce bikes without mufflers. The "straight" pipes are typically aftermarket accessories added by the rider.

The pro-volume category believes that the volume will alert more drivers to their presence. However,the majority of motorcycle accidents occur from in the 11:00-1:00 range in front of a motorcycle.

Loud pipes have led to some cities enacting legislation that bands motorcycles from specific roads at certain times of day.

Personally, I believe the loud pipes do nothing good for the motorcycling community. I think they are a nuisance. They damage the hearing of everyone around them, especially the rider. They can't save lives if they're pointed backwards.

So, how do you nonriders feel about excessively loud bikes? Has your life or environment been affected by these bikers? Do you approve of the noise because it is "part of being a biker"?

And sorry if I'm not making sense. I've been studying and my brain is fried.

2. stinger12345

stinger12345

Jan 24, 2009
    Hayward, CA
    I believe a recent South Park episodes answers this one for me.

3. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I think loud pipes are fine if they're on purely to enhance the performance of the bike AND if the rider keeps the revs down in residential areas.
    Oh wait, I own sport bikes with aftermarket cans. My opinion wasn't asked for.
    oooops......

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I love the loud pipes. I have been begging my dad to put louder exhaust on his '46 Harley, but he wants to leave it stock.

But hey, I also very loud dual exhaust on my Ram.

-Mike

5. depends on how it sounds. some bikes sound good loud, others sound broken.

i am against the harley chop. to me that sounds like the bike has timing issues and is about to stall.

i am all for the no muffler straight pipe sound so frequently displayed on american chopper. :cool:

6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Ditto.

7. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Does it bother anyone knowing that according to the EPA, it is illegal for any exhaust to exceed 80db and used on the street? The aftermarket parts legally cannot be sold as street bike parts. They are for "off road and track use only", but vendors ignore this and will gladly install them on street bikes. Does this abuse bother anyone?

8. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Frankly, I'd be happier in a world without loud pipes (ditto for coffee-can exhausts and obscenely loud car subwoofers).

But given the amount of drivers who can't be bothered to pay attention to what's going on around them, I see them as the lesser evil. Several of my motorcyclist friends have been badly injured by drivers who weren't giving the road their full attention.

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Do you think loud pipes would be a better safety feature than high visibility colored jackets and helmets? Colors such as the vest construction workers wear on the roads, with reflective tape?

10. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    One friend of mine is 6'4", about 260lbs and was wearing red leathers on a red Yamaha during broad daylight. Didn't stop the dumb **** hitting him while she was doing her makeup at the same time as operating a vehicle.

"Sorry, I didn't see you", she said...

"What, have those invisibility classes you've been taking actually started working?" I asked him...

Unfortunately, no matter how brightly coloured your outfit, if they're not looking at the road, they're not going to see you.

11. beat me to it.

12. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    And if they're talking on the phone or cranking the stereo, they're not going to hear you.

No matter how much you try to idiot proof it, the human race can provide a better idiot.

One item on the other side of the coin - part of my "low noise" preference comes from a good friend who's rural home is on a twisty road that is much beloved of the motorbike set. The loud bikes roaring up the road would wake his sleeping babies - kind of a drag to be stuck with cranky woke-up babies. Less loud bikes wouldn't do it, but the real roarers would do it regularly.

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Not until they get ticketed, apparently.

Never let facts get in the way of a stupid TB opinion discussion!

14. if its an issue of making sure people know a bike is coming, thats ridiculous. you can see them if you're paying attention.

i blame the cyclists for most of the accidents. 1 in 10 of the people i see riding motorcycles these days are being responsible. ive almost killed 20 or 30 of them because THEY were doing something stupid like riding on the center line, hanging out in my blind spot, swerving across lanes or going 120 miles an hour.

im sick of everyone trying to spread public awareness as if we just FORGOT how to drive around people on 2 wheels. the same people hitting other cars are the one killing people on motorcycles. and on the other side of the coin ive often had to go out of my way to NOT hit one of them.

being loud isnt going to change anything. its just going to make me angry.

for those who can keep your 2 wheels on the ground, drive at reasonable speeds and obey all traffic laws while treating ALL vehicles with respect, you dont need applause, its expected of you. but thank you for being responsible.

for the rest of you, please and walk into traffic.

15. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Too true. The only answer seems (to me) to be to start suspending licenses for idiot drivers, with each offense giving a longer suspension. Eventually they'll be off the road and the rest of us can breathe a sigh of relief.

Fair point. Bikers can be ****s too.

16. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    This seems to be one of the most prevalent problems. People move into the country to get away from the noise of the city, but every weekend bikers ride out and ruin the atmosphere with loud pipes. My dad moved to the country, near some good roads and is an avid motorcyclist. But he still HATES it when all the loud-pipe guys come out and blast through the roads all day, disturbing everyone within a few miles.

17. Loud is good. The 6 khz background whine in my ears is a testament to this.

I would rather Motorcyclists have loud pipes, because that way I can hear them coming when I drive my car. there is a limit to the loud I would like, but what can you do?

18. Says "Sonic Assasin"...

This question seems a little loaded though as you're asking the question to those that don't do it.

19. make decibel level checks part of the registry required yearly inspections (assuming they have those for bikes, and if they don't then they should. at least every 2 years anyway)

the whole "loud pipes let people know i'm coming" argument is a load of crap anyway, as many people have already stated exhaust pipes do not throw sound forward, so i can't hear mr. bikerman until he's right next to me (which is fine, because i will see him in my mirrors way before i'll hear anything anyway). hasn't anyone ever heard of the doppler effect?

to sum up: anything that is so loud that i can't even hear myself think when it passes should not be allowed on the road.

20. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I think it's annoying when I'm relaxing at home and a wound up un-muffled motorcycle goes by,...usually it passes by quickly and so too does my irritation. I live in the city,...I expect a certain amount of noise. The din of traffic on the highway about a 1/4 mile away accompanied by the railroad that pretty much parallels it is enough to drown out the motorcycle once it exits the neighborhood.

As for on the road,...I drive alert and tend to see motorcycles before I hear them. When I'm near a motorcycle I usually respect his space and give him lots of it.

I think the whole "loud pipes save lives" is a cop out justification to be rebellious (not to mention illegal). To that I say,...needing justification to be rebellious isn't really rebellion.