1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Nordstrand Big Singles users

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by duke2004, Apr 29, 2009.

1. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    Considering putting these into a Lakland 44-01. I just want some real world (eg. gig world) experience on how much these hum and buzz onstage. I know this is unscientific, as there are many factors (like your rig, bass sheilding and flourescent lights near stage) but i think one can make some general comments. For example my single coil Darkstar bass is very quiet onstage, whereas a Lakland jazz with Fralins was generally always a bit noisy.
    I know they make humbuckers, but im looking for a loud agressive single coil sound with strong mids, so thats the PU that Norstrand suggested.

2. duke2004

duke2004

Mar 29, 2004
    Cambridge, Mass.
    anybody?

3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I wouldn't say they were any noisier than any other single coil when soloed. I definitely agree if you're looking for ballsy single coil sound, big singles are the way to go. I had them in a pedulla thunderbolt and the thing sounded massive. I typically played with both pickups full on.

4. Hey Duke,

Not to be a derailer but I've started a similar thread regarding Nordstrand Jazz pickups.. I've got little to nothing in the response dept. These pickups get a ton of hype but then no one has real world experience? I think it may be one of those go with your gut and take a whim. I realize these aren't cheap but probably the only way to know if they are a good match. You can more than likey sell them without losing a ton of $$. I'm testing out some NJ4SV's now and they are nothing that I expected them to be or how I feel they were described.. Probably why less people try to discuss these matters. FWIW...

5. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I found my Nordy to be on the noisy side with Big Singles versus other single coil pickups (I assume due to all that wire). However, obviously with both pickups dimed, they are as quiet as any other pickup.

I would call the Big Singles loud and having strong mids, but I would NOT call them aggressive at all. They are very smooth and fat and pure to my ear, with a much more hi fi top end than a typical single coil J pickup IMO and IME.

The Big Splits sound 95% the same as the Big Singles to my ear, and they are totally quiet. I would highly recommend those if you are concerned with noise, and favor one pickup on occasion. I like the Big Splits a lot. The Big Singles, IMO, have the negatives of single coils (i.e., noise when not both fully on), but IMO very little of what most consider a 'single coil tone' (i.e., grindy, aggressive upper mids and a somewhat raw treble response). That's not a good formula for me personally.

6. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I have my 44-01 retrofitted with Big Singles and an Audere preamp. It smokes. When you have either pick up soloed you get the standard "single coil" hum that you will get with any true single coil pick up. If you do your due diligence and shield the control cavity and the pick up cavities well you won't have any problems. With the pick up pot in the "blend" position the hum is canceled and it's dead quiet. If you have your hands on the bass when the pick ups are soloed the hum is no where near apparent as it is if you had you volume up and didn't have an hands on the bass. Then you do get a very considerable hum, but this is typically the case with single coil pick ups. It's just the nature of the beast.

As Kjung said above if you're really concerned get the Big Splits, they're basically the same thing, but with a hum canceling "dummy" coil, that eliminates the noise. I did a lot of research on both of these and decided on the Big Singles. You can't go wrong with either one. IMO the Big Single just have a bit higher out put and a bit more "sizzle". They are a fairly aggressive pick up, but they're more "meaty" than a standard jazz style single coil.

On stage I never gotten anything but compliments on this bass. I was at the NH Bass Fest last year and I had a lot of compliments on the tone as well. The slap sound is killer and you can get a real nice aggressive finger style tone. Very versatile all around, but keep in mind that I also have the original pre changed out to a Classic 4 Audere, and this has a lot to do with the overall sound of the bass.

Do yourself a favor and replace the MK-1 Pre with something like and Aggie OBP-3 or an Audere, you'll be happy you did. Just my opinion.

7. Bass_Xtremist89

Bass_Xtremist89

Oct 29, 2006
    Hey man,

I've got the Nordie Big Singles in my Schecter Stiletto Custom 6, with an Aguilar OBP-1 Pre. When I first installed them, they did buzz quite a bit, but after a suggestion from my luthier, I added further shielding by lining the bottom of the pickup cavities with tin foil, and wired the tin foil to the main ground point in the bass. It's now virtually silent, so I'd recommend this mod to anyone with these pickups.