Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for NYC Talkbassers

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZoomBoy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. I'll be flying into the city this Sunday afternoon and staying until Friday afternoon while I attend some IBM training classes downtown. My classes generally end at 4PM so I'm looking for suggestions on cool places to visit in the evenings that I'm there. I'm staying on Lafayette St. So where are the good music stores in the area? I'm going to attempt to get out to the Sadowsky shop if I have time and maybe the Fodera shop. Also, any recommendations for places to eat, drink and hear live music would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Jeff

2. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    First thing: pick up a Village Voice and check out the music listings.

Check to see if the Mingus Big Band is playing at the Fez on Thursday. This is their regular gig and home court so they should be there unless they are on tour. They generally rotate some of the biggest jazz heavyweights in the city. The Fez is a small room that's hard to find---It's under a restaurant called "Time" in the village.

Check to see if Mike Stern is playing the 55 Bar. Again, unless he's on tour, he'll be there playing one night a week. Amazing.

Also check to see if Dave Holland is back from tour. If you don't know about him you need to be edumacatin yoself.

There are endless things to do there but these are three of my faves.

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you'd like to hear a modern/eclectic cover band rock a 20 something meat market, you can come see Sir Squid at the Cadillac Bar in Hoboken on Sunday Night (All Columbus' Eve).

http://www.cadillacbar.net

It's only 1 block from the PATH station, so it's easy to get to.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    When did Ken Smith move to Brooklyn, Ed? :D The cabinet maker you're referring to is Epiphani, and they're located in the same building as Fodera.

5. Zoomboy, THE PLACE to buy CDs is J&R Music World at 33 Park Row, which is easy to find and is about 2 blocks south of city hall. Tower records is good, but, I've found that J&R has a much wider and in depth selection, and their sales people KNOW music. As far as food & music palces, I'll come back later or tomorrow at the latest while I get some addresses together. Here's J&R's site.

www.jandr.com

Welcome to the big apple, my friend.

Mike J.

6. I'll definitely pick up a copy of the Village Voice when I get there. Sounds like a good place to start. I'm staying at the Holiday Inn at 138 Lafayette. St. so I'm looking for stuff close by to do to keep me busy since I'm travelling alone. I might end up hooking up with someone who is also taking the same class as me but the odds of them being a bassist are slim. LOL!

As far as eat and drink, I like to try new things when I get a chance and I'll eat almost anything (except liver). I like all kinds of music so jazz clubs are cool with me. I realize that Roger's shop is in Brooklyn so I might not be able to find the time to get there but I'm going to try to get out there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far!

7. Jeff, here's something to start with. NYC has THE BEST Italian food in the world! I've never eaten in Arturo's, but, I've eaten in Monte's many times, the food is unbelievable and has a BIG menu. Last time I went there, the bill was $87.00 for 4 people.

Check it out: http://www.gotham2go.com/index.php/24/45

Go through the whole site.

Later.

Mike J.

8. Thanks for the info Mike. I love Italian food. I have all kinds of NYC stuff loaded onto my PDA from a website called Vindigo. It's pretty cool and I can plug in the intersection I'm at and where I want to go to get walking directions. Never been to NYC before. Should be interesting being a Boston guy and all.

9. Any more suggestions?

10. Here's the site for the Village Voice so you can get a jump on planning musical outings. www.villagevoice.com

There's a bunch of clubs that I can tell you to go to, but, it really depends on who's playing there, and who you like. Clubs that I like are: The Blue Note and The Iridium. I'd suggest checking out the Voice's site and if you have any questions about the clubs, just ask. One area I'd also suggest checking out is the part of the Village near NYU. It's bordered by 6th Avenue on the west, West 4th st. on the North, LaGuardia Place on the east and West Houston St. on the south. It's a nice quaint area, and it's within walking distance of where you're staying. http://www.nyctourist.com/map_gvillage.htm

That restaurant Monte's is here, and there are a lot of nice little bars, restaurants and interesting shops in this area. Worth checking out.

I'll try to think of some other stuff before the end of the day.

Mike J.

11. You must hit 48th Street. I'm in St. Louis but I visited it. It's on 5th or 6th Avenue. They call it Pretigous Music Row or something.

12. Thanks for the tip on this place Mike. Checked it out today on the way back to the hotel. Bought a few CDs including Brand X's disc Product (Percy Jones on bass. Playing a fretless Wal no less!). At home I can't even find one Brand X disc. J&R had at least 5 different discs by them. I'll be going back there before I fly home for sure. I'm just amazed at how big of a place NYC is! Wow. Big parade today and Broadway was closed off. Grabbed some good Thai food from a vendor and took it down to the little park at the Customs Building (Bowling Green?) and ate amongst the pigeons. Walked through St. Paul's (?) Church near the WTC site. They have an exhibit about 9/11 and the church's role as a place of comfort/rest for those people involved in the effort to pick through the rubble. It's still very sad to me. Wiped a few tears from my eyes while no one was looking. Tomorrow I'm out of my class around 2PM so I'm gonna grab a cab and head to Brooklyn to see some Sadowskys or I might head to 48th St to check out some basses.

Jeff

13. You made my day, Jeff. I love it when I tell people to go to J&R and they actually go there. You have to see it to believe it, right? Before you go home, go upstairs to the Jazz & Blues section and definitely go a few doors down to the Classical section. The people in there always blow me away. You just mention part of a title, or even hum a song you don't know the title to, and 99% of the time they come up with the right answer, right away.

Weather alert: *Nor-Easter* expected tomorrow!:eek: Buy an umbrella.

Good day to spend in a music store. :cool:

Keep enjoying the city.

Mike J.

14. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    OK, I was up there just a couple of days ago and actually bought a Peavey Fury V. Long story... Great Bass.... ANYWAY we went to most all of the guitar shops to check them out. So here they are, these are all on 7th and 48th or in that general vecinity. Mann'ys guitars (not exact name) SamAsh guitars & bass, and a couple of other ones that i can't remember the name of. But they are mostly on 48th street. So thats the place to go.

15. Today's highlight was I met Roger Sadowsky. What a nice guy. I was greeted with a "Hello, I'm Roger." I was only able to spend about one hour there but everyone was friendly and made me feel comfortable.

I was hoping that Nino Brown would be working but Roger said he won't be in until tomorrow.

I played all the unsold basses he had in stock through a killer Aguilar DB680 and Aggie Tube amp and a Bergie 112. Wow. Nice rig.

I played a a LPB/maple Vintage 5, a Vintage P/J 4 in 59 burst/maple and I even had a chance to play a Sadowsky Tokyo 4 string that was like a Marcus Miller Jazz (natural, bound maple neck w/pearl blocks, Badass bridge and cover over the neck PU).

My favorite was this one though. Time to start saving my pennies! This bass and that amp just frickin' killed. I may have to go back for more before the week is up.

[​IMG]