Question for other Peavey T-Max owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ss81, Jul 31, 2005.

1. ss81

May 29, 2005
    For a few weeks now I've been the very happy owner of a used peavey t-max head and 410tvx cab (8 ohms, so the amp isn't putting out its full 500 watts but I'm still able to get more than enough volume with ample headroom). My question has to do with the LED indicator that flashes red when the DDT speaker protection is activated. Is it unusual for this LED to stay red all the time when you're playing? I'm not sure if you're supposed to adjust your gain levels to keep it green most of the time and only occasionally red, but at those levels I can't hear myself over my guitarist and drummer (perhaps this has something to do with my 8-ohm cab). Is it okay that it stays red most of the time, or am I somehow doing damage to my amp this way? I know the main concern is for my speakers, and they seem to be holding out okay (again, 8 ohms of resistance, and the cab has an RMS rating of 350 watts which is more than what it's getting). I'm guessing the amp will probably be fine, but I just figured I'd ask and be safe rather than sorry.
  2. hammer2748

Feb 22, 2002
    Hartford, CT
    As for your speakers, try adding another 8-ohm cab or go to move up to 4-ohm cabs. That system is stable down to 2-ohms. I had a T-Max for almost 15 years. I have a 4x10 tvx, 2x10 tvx and a 1x15bw, all 4-ohm. I would run any of these individually or a combination of any of the 2 depending on the venue. I had no problem keeping up with keys, guitars all purshing through a pair of Line 6 Vettas, and a Marshall 1/2 stack. Actually, it sat very nicely in the mix. You'll probably be fine with the single 4-ohm cab.

As far as clipping goes, adjust your gains accordingly. A steady red is definitely not a good thing. You're probably asking too much with what you've got for a speaker system within your performance environment. My suggestion is either increase your speaker mass or move up to 4-ohm cabs. I was able to get a ton of power out of this rig with only a flicker into the red. Just watch you really low freq. setttings on the EQ and on your parametrics.

My T-Max finally gave out just a couple months ago (many hard hours). I will have it fixed eventually, but for now I'm looking at other options. Good Luck!