1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for owners of several basses . . .

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Oct 31, 2006.

1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Which one of your basses do you love a great deal, yet hardly gets played? What's the story behind that?

I started thinking about this after the Northwest GTG, when I realized that I hadn't really considered taking my outstanding ABG, and that I hadn't played it in a few weeks. I really love my Tacoma, and it was a Father's Day present from my wife in thanks for taking care of our daughter. It has a lot of sentimental value, and it has a fantastic tone. I used to play it all the time after my daughter would go to bed, but now I mostly play my electric basses through a small combo turned way down.

2000sBasses.jpg

A picture says a thousand words, right? I took the above picture this spring, and it's one of the few pictures I have of my Tacoma. The other three basses in this picture have all been sold, though, so I must still harbor some deep appreciation for the 'chief. :D

I hardly play it at all, yet I really love it. I got it out last night and played it for over an hour, even though I should have gone to bed. I couldn't believe I hadn't played it in such a long time. It was a total blast -- like running into an old friend. It made me wonder what other gems TBers have been ignoring in their collection. Maybe this thread will get them to pick up an old favorite again. What's your story?

2. I have a 1996 Modulus Quantum 6 that hardly gets played anymore. I love this bass and would never get rid of it. My dad bought it for me back in the day when I showed a strong interest in playing. Its a great bass but the more I play upright, the more I lean towards 4-5 strings. I have no idea why. I still occasionally bring it out but not as often as I use to.

[​IMG]

3. BartmanPDX

Nice one, Bobby! :)

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics

My '77 Travis Bean fretless needs a little TLC at the moment, but it's a great instrument, especially for scary slide bass adventures. :cool: I bought it new in '77! This picture from 2002 is one of the last gigs I played with it, I think. I used it for a couple of surf-punk gigs last year too though. It's really heavy, but the demand for my EUB on gigs is the main reason I hardly ever use it this days. You saw my other fretless at the GTG too, which is pretty nice, no?

[​IMG]

5. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Everything here excpet the Ritter rarely gets played.
    I've been playing the Alembic more though since I've managed to keep it in the living room. But the Modulus and the Carvin rarely make it out of the case. I'm undecided as to which bass to bring to the gigs this weekend as backup.

100_1493.jpg

6. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I play all 5 of my basses frequently, alternating between each. The one I play less is probably my Peavey Milleniium 4 though.

7. I have a beautiful, custom-made Jazz bass by Greg Curbow, and it's been living in its gig bag for the most part. It was my main gigging bass for a couple of years, and I still plunk around on it at home now and then. But, ever since I got a second Reverend Rumblefish, they've taken over as my main pair. And, with a Fender Jaguar on the way, the Curbow is on the block. It's a great instrument, but I've come to realize that it's not quite "me", whatever that means.

8. I have a late 70's BC Rich Eagle lurking under my bed. I would not sell it even for 3 times its worth.
    Story behind it goes, I purchased it new in the late 70's. Played it around LA at a few shows etc... Band gets signed, falls apart bla bla you know the deal. Anyway I have my daughter (well the wife did all the work) and I just up and stop playing. Fast forward like 20 years...
    So I stop in a local coffee house on a Monday and bump into the worship leader from the church I go to.
    He says, "Hey, I hear you play bass ?" I tell him well yea like a lifetime ago. He askes me to audition, so I do with this TOTAL metal looking bass. Funny part is I get the gig and have been playing at several churches ever since , went on tour to Africa and the band I am with now is cutting a CD. Love that bass, never use it but love that bass. :smug:

9. I have a pretty crappy P-bass copy that was my first bass, it plays horribly and I never play it any more but it has a bit of sentimental value.

10. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    I have two I don't play. Ibanez 6 string. Great bass with a nice neck. I bought it thinking I would like 6 strings, but I just can't
    do 6 strings. :meh: The other is a vintage Guild B302. It is my oldest bass and just stays in the case. That leaves 4 I play a lot.

11. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    A great (at all levels) bass that I hardly use is a Status Graphite 5 string that used to belong to the bass player of a group we all know (they've been around for 25-30yrs now). I've used it on some recordings 6yrs back, but it has hardly seen any action since then. Every now and then I take it out and give it a workout and then I place it back in it's case

12. My fretless MIJ Jazz Bass hasn't seen many gigs lately. My Hamer 2-TEK CruiseBass is #1 and my new Ibanez Artcore single cutaway has been getting a lot of use (we're still honeymooning). My P-Basses and the fretless have been spending a lot of time at home but I'm sure the rotation will return to normal soon.

13. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My DiPinto Belvedere semi-hollow fits the description. It has a fantastic neck, a monstrous, distinctive tone, and killer looks, so I love it. I don't think I'll ever part with it. But I rarely use it because: (1) the short upper horn creates a long reach to first position when standing; and (2) my current band requires a drop-D tuner, and I haven't gotten it to work consistently. But for the latter point, I'd probably use it on some gigs.

But when we were recording our EP, out it came for a couple of tracks. For some material, it puts my MIA Fenders to shame.

Take a look. Mine's gold:

http://dipintoguitars.com/basses_belvedere-std.html

14. BartmanPDX

Great story! Love the image of showing up for a church gig with a metal bass. :D

15. BartmanPDX

That other fretless was mighty sweet. Made me wish I'd kept playing fretless.

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    None. Any equipment I have that just sits around doing nothing gets moved on to a new home.

Instruments are meant to be played, and if I'm not doing it myself then someone else can give it a go.

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Other than my Fender which all get regular playing time, I'm selling the rest. I just can't afford to have that many dormant instruments.,

18. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    My 1968 Gibson EB-2 is the one I touch the least. It's nice to play once in a while, but is a bit quirky. I end up grabbing my Fender P or J for band duties.

I have a Fender P-Bass Lyte Deluxe that would probably not get much action if it was at home, but it lives next to my desk at work, so it gets picked up for a little bit almost daily.

Attached Files:

19. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama

I haven't been able to find any 5 string Tacomas!!! Where did you buy yours?

20. BartmanPDX

My wife bought it for me, from Musiciansbuy.com.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021