1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

question for oxfuzz bass owners...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flymo Wang, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Flymo Wang

Flymo Wang

Jan 5, 2011
    Bristol, UK
    can anybody with an oxfuzz please confirm the power situation?
    i think they used to be battery only from what i could find on the web, and found a picture of one for sale on TB that didn't look to have the power jack, but the new ones on prymaxe seem to be different..

[​IMG]

the photo above looks like there is an external power jack in the top right corner, is this std centre negative 9v? there seems to be no real info anywhere, even the oxfuzz website.

2. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    Early ones might now have a dc jack. Mine had as I bought it directly from Ox and I asked for one.

It's a silicon fuzz, so standard negative ground power supply is all right.

3. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    I have a non-bass Oxfuzz germanium. Battery power only. However, I've routed a very small cable hole around the lip of the bottom tray and run a standard battery drop off my PP2+ without any issue. Just trimmed bias with the internal adjuster to taste.

4. Just send Ken an email, he's really quick to respond. I bought both my pedals directly from him.

5. There isn't much written on this pedal around here - any impressions that people care to share? Seems like a nice warm fuzz, complete with blend. Yes, I watched all two or three of the YouTube videos out there.

6. It's not as warm as you think. The fuzz does boost your high mids by quite a bit and does cut some lows. I run mine with the blend at 75% clean to retain the lows and tame some of the mids. It's one of those pedals that you really have to try, if you have a bright bass, amp or cab it may not sound great. Having said that it does sit in the mix quite nicely. No muff scoop here.

If you are looking for a really warm fuzz then I recommend the standard germanium ox fuzz. It is quite dark, and will attenuate the highs. It also sits in the mix very nicely, different from the bass version, as it sits below everything with a warm fuzzy tone.

7. I wish I could try one first! Tough to do with these boutique makers...

I don't suppose you happened to A/B the Ox with any of the Wounded Paw pedals? Those ones to me seem much edgier in their demo videos and clips.

It sounds like you've tried the Germanium fuzz - no concerns with losing fundamentals without a blend feature? I definitely want a fuzz that will work through the mix and not just sound good at home. I've read many threads now about how the BBM - a tone that on its own I definitely like - consistently gets lost in a live mix, whereas other pedals whose tone has an edge to them and/or a good blend function seem to be able to punch through.

FWIW, I play a Warwick Thumb through a GB Shuttle 6.0 with a Traynor TC112 cab, and play primarily rock/blues these days.

Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions and input!

8. If you really like the tone of a muff, get an improved upon one. There are a ton refrences to them on here. Or get a muff and have it modded. there is a ton of room in those boxes to add a mid control or blend pretty much whatever you want. I think a cool clean blend with a muff (or any fuzz really) is one that has a low pass filter, so only the lows and mids come through clean. It sounds weird to me to have the clean undeneath the fuzzed out highs.

9. The germanium oxfuzz does not lose any low end, but you do lose some highs. It's not super fuzzy unless you really push it bit then it gets a little harsh. I had an attack goat, much different from the ox fuzzes. It's more bit and more obvious, brighter, more "effecty" if you will. With the oxfuzz in a mix you can barely tell that it's a fuzz. They just add this great presence in the mix.

Nor sure how the oxfuzzes will sound through an SS head. I have only used them with tube amps.

10. That pretty much sells me on one of these pedals right there. Creamy but well-defined warmth is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the input!

11. I'll just add that the oxfuzz bass adds a slight up front kind of presence, almost tube screamerish. The standard oxfuzz is more of a low mid warmth and thick gooey sound. Perfect if your guitar player plays cleaner or uses single coils.

12. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    Lets see I have an OXfuzz Bass, OXfuzz germ, and an OXfuzz Dark. I'll try to get you some sound clips soon with all of them. I use tube heads and they all are great. You can tell that they are all in the same family with slight differences between them. Plus Ken is great to deal with and a super nice guy (his band kicks ass btw)

13. Oxfuzz Dark? Haven't seen that one.

14. I almost pulled the trigger on an Oxfuzz Dark a few weeks ago. Not many of them made I think.

15. I'd love to hear the clips if you get a chance - thanks!

16. demon666

demon666

Jul 16, 2005
    Providence RI
    I think Ken made 10 total.