Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for P-bass rock music players

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Mazinger, Jan 27, 2003.

1. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Do you play with a pick?

I seem to notice that when a p-bass is used for rock music the bassist is usually playing with a pick.

Just something I was thinking about this morning. :D

2. Umm, what kinda rock? like New-age punk rock crap you see on MTV (Blink 182, The Vines) or rock like Rush and stuff? You must have just seen a coincidence in that all the P-bassers u have seen use a pick. Most new-age rock bands have a bassist that use a P-bass and a pick because

A) P-bass gives a pretty grungy sound and thats what most rockers are looking for, dirty grungy bass.
    OR

B) There all Guitar players who never wanted to really learn how to play the bass so they use a Pick.

3. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    Yeah, the newer bands.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see too many p-bass finger players. You're right though, it just might be the sound that they're trying to get.

4. ummm, people have been playing P basses with picks for a long time. and some of the BEST new bands do it too. les savy fav and the apes, to name a couple i've seen.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    People use picks with their p-bass, because a p-bass sounds good with a pick. I had a p-bass. used a pick alot of the time. sounded good.

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Pretty much says it all...

-robert

7. Mazinger

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I guess that's pretty much the answer I was looking for too. :D

It's just something I seem to notice when I see a bass player with a P-bass.

8. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Glad you realize this.;)

9. I like my P-Bass because I like it's raw sound, when the tone is on full blast. I feel you get a boost when the tone is all the way up and you use a pick. The songs I play with lower tone are usually fingered, and the exception to the rule for me is Toadies - Tyler. Though I'm pretty sure it's played with the pick, I much prefer the tone/fingered sound.

10. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    I never play my P_Bass with a pick, whenever I see someone ( bass player ) playing with a pick, I think they are limiting what they can do on the bass. You can make a pick sound with your fingers if you want to. If you insist on playing with a pick, get a guitar.

IMHO

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh god, you are such a.......oh...OH NICE SAVE with the "IMHO".....That got you off the hook. but i will say people that LIMIT themselves to one aspect of playing are more LIMITED than ones that do.... IMHO...

12. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    The bassist for "Shakedown Street", a dead cover band has the most unique fingering / picking style I've ever seen. He holds the pick all the time, and uses his ring & pinky fingers when he wants to finger. Throughout the set he's just seemlessly switching between pick and finger why he gets the groove on.

Quite cool, I think. I know I don't have that kind of talent . . . yet.

13. sounds like the technique Colin Hodgkinson uses - he often uses the pick simultaneously with his fingers for chordal playing.

I suppose most rock P bass users use a pick.
    Steve Harris is the most obvious exception.

there's also Billy Sheehan, who originally used a P bass, now the Yamaha Attitude which is roughly P bass-like.

-and there's me:p
    (although I'm working on playing with a pick too)

14. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    (I Don't know how to insert who posted....)

posted by pollybass

:
    Oh god, you are such a.......oh...OH NICE SAVE with the "IMHO".....That got you off the hook. but i will say people that LIMIT themselves to one aspect of playing are more LIMITED than ones that do.... IMHO...
    :
    (this is Arrrrrgh's response)

Thanks for the reprieve, the OL' IMHO has saved quite a few people here on talk bass. I was talking about people who limit themselves to only playing with a pick, not about people who play both ways. I can't play with a pick, and sometimes I wish I could. There are quite a few places where the extra attack would be nice... but alas... sigh..
    Once again, this is IMVHO

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, i got you. i might have taken what you said out of context a little. and by the by, all you have to do is click on "Quote" and it will show the persons post, and leave you room to write your responce.

16. Arrrrrgh

Arrrrrgh

May 8, 2002
    Haha.... Thanks for the quote tip.. I'll make sure to use it while I rip to shreds all of your future posts...

thanks again

17. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    now simmer down kids...... (then again, i'm probably younger than both of you.) anyway, i play p-bass, i love the sound of it with or without a pick. i play both. if you do both, and do it in different places on the bass, you can get almost any sound you could want (or at least i want).

18. TravellinMan

TravellinMan

Jan 11, 2003
    NW Indiana
    I'll have to second that one! I use my fingers because 3 years ago, I lost the tip of my index and can't hold a pick at all! You can make the same sound with you're fingers just dig a little harder!

19. you can't make your fingers sound the same as a pick. sorry.

20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA