Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for people smarter than me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LegolasX, Mar 16, 2005.

1. LegolasX

LegolasX

Mar 16, 2005
    Is this sort of half maybe a little bit perhaps quite o.k? :meh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7308050627

Bare in mind its my first bass, im only 15, we're only a new band, we have limited funds and the rest of our money went towards a 40 watt amp.

Also I am aware there are different sizes of bass guitars, what I want to know is that the larger one or the smaller one, and how do you tell?

Finally does anyone know were I can get a pink bass with a white scratchboard resembling Mark Hoppus' from blink 182?

Thanks. :)

2. SirPoonga

SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    It says in the description, long scale. Long scale = 34", short scale = 30". Most basses are long scale.

3. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA

:bawl:

4. Mate, firstly, welcome to the world of the low end - hope you have a long and happy journey.

It would be my first thought to say - SAVE UP - for a nice instrument, but at 89 bucks, why not grab that plank?

Back in the dark ages, when I was 15, I think i was playing a vantage or cort or something. it was a boat oar, but i soon graduated to better quality instruments as i became more in love with the bass.

Dunno about the blink 182 bass that you're after, but anyway, get what makes you happy. a pink precision with white scratchplate isn't gonna make you a better bassist, only time and practice will do that. find your unique sound - most of us have one - and play, play, play.

Good luck, buddy ;)

5. LegolasX

LegolasX

Mar 16, 2005
    Is it cause its blink or cause its pink. If its cause its blink, everyone has their tastes, if its cause its pink get over yourself.

6. captainbeardo

captainbeardo

Mar 11, 2005
    There's a Mark Hoppus signature bass from Fender, I'm pretty sure it comes in pink. Musicians Friend carries it, although not in pink at the moment.

Of course, any pink p-bass knock off with a white pickguard would look suitably similiar.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Its because....well, do a search here on Mark Hoppus, Im sure you'll get the gist of it hehe.

And don't worry too much about comments like that, if it makes ya happy, do it.

8. My favorite musician had pink hair... Hopefully you want it to be pink because you like pink not because this Blink 182 guy likes pink.... Trust me you'll eventually want to have your own look and style, eventually (hopefully anyways..)
    Good luck welcome to the beautiful world of bass
    see you around... :bassist:

9. LegolasX

LegolasX

Mar 16, 2005
    Pink is different I like different I like pink :-D

10. I bought a wesley telecaster about a year ago, and i love it, its a great quality guitar that cost me about £92!!, 'wesley is a really nice guy to deal with, from past experiences of calls and emails he has been very helpful and friendly!! and his store is only a 20 min drive away from me!

i say definatly go for it!

11. Andre_gt7

Andre_gt7

Jan 4, 2005
    Atlanta - GA
    [​IMG]

sometimes pink can be veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery good

12. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    89 pounds is about 170 US dollars or so. I am fairly certain you could pick up a used Fender Squire in awesome condition
    for that price including shipping to the UK, if that s where you live. I am not familiar with the bass you are looking at but wouldn t say it s a good deal even though the price is cheap.
    I say go Fender or even Ibanez 200......

Good luck whatever you choose.

13. glnflwrs

glnflwrs

Jan 25, 2005
    Hesperia, CA
    I painted my first bass, a Kay, hot pink to match, well, never mind.

That was in about '66 or '67.

I played it several years pink. Pink,,,hot, wet, ... Quit it, quit it!

;>)

14. You can't get a Hoppus signature bass in the shade of Pink that he has his, as it's only on the one he got from the Fender custom shop.

15. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Wrong. Shell pink is a discontinued color. In lieu of shell pink, it is now offered in black and white.

I still think its a waste of money :p
    ~Patrick

16. if your looking to pick up an inexpensive jazz or p bass clone, chek out ronodmusic.com the sx line there gets good reviews around here and isn't much more than your looking at spending on that bass.

17. jayzarecki

jayzarecki

Feb 23, 2005
    san diego, CA
    you can go but an Aria Pro II bass. Ive had mone since i was 16. my mom told me it was about 100 US dollars. Its a very good beginner/middle level bass.

as for the mark hoppus bass, jnust go but a reguar fender bass. the siggy basses alwasy cost more....

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

A Hoppus will run you just about $550 or so new.

Get it, if it floats your boat. As others have said, it won't make you a better player, but it may motivate you to practice more if you have a quality instrument which is a joy to play.

My first bass was a black Ric 4003; I was a Geddy Lee wannabe. :D It was more bass than I needed at the time, but I still have it, and I loved playing it, and I'm still playing bass almost 20 years later, so I'm glad I got it, and not some crappy boat oar that wouldn't have motivated me to practice. YMMV.

19. Rockgurl

Rockgurl

Dec 17, 2004
    CT, USA
    Pink is a wonderful thing! Here's me with my 1986 hot pink HM Fender Strat. It is a thing of beauty. OK, it ain't a bass, but c'mon!

[​IMG]

Here's a rather cool ESP:

[​IMG]

20. Wow it's amazing to see so many people for the color pink.... That's good to see.... Rockgurl, nice guitar btw.. :bassist: