Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for people that work in record shops

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Jun 19, 2004.

1. I'm taking the big step. I'm going to try and get a summer job. On long shot I have, and I mean REALLY long, is maybe I could become a employee of a independant record shop, but my parents told me that if it's a place that has you dealing with money, they want you to be 18. I don't want to be a cashier, maybe just the stockboy. Another thing is I turn 15 in August. I dunno why I put that, but I think it might help for something.

My question for employees of record shops is this, have you hired minors around my age to work there? Or is there some kind of law against it?

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm not sure if there is a law where you are, but I've worked in places that have people under 18 handling cash. Personally, I wouldn't hire a 14 year old to do so however, no offense man. If you go in and straight up tell them that you just want to be a stockboy, work the odd jobs around the store, etc, then you'll have a better shot IMO. I would definitely at least go and apply, it doesn't hurt anything and you never know!

3. true. I think it would be cool, and I think I would have a plus with my style of music...

4. plus, who need truth, you could be 18 for all they know ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

5. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    To work at the age of 14 (or 15) in California, you would have to be employed illegally and paid under the table. There aren't many indipendantly owned record shops that would do that.

Also getting a job at a arecord store is hard! I have tried a few different places in the past to no avail.

6. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    He doesn't live in Cali tho, he lives in Rhode Island:

No child under fourteen (14) years of age shall be employed or permitted or suffered to work at any time in any business or industrial establishment in this state. No child under sixteen (16) years of age shall be employed or permitted or suffered to work at any time in any factory, mechanical, or manufacturing establishment within this state. A child who has reached the fourteenth (14th) birthday, but has not reached the sixteenth (16th) birthday, may be employed only between the hours of 6:00 A.M. and 7:00 P.M; except that a child who has reached the fourteenth (14th) birthday, but has not reached the sixteenth (16th) birthday, may be employed until 9:00 P.M. but only during school vacations; and except as provided in § 28-3-3 no child under sixteen (16) years of age shall be employed or permitted or suffered to work in any business establishment within this state.

28-3-3 says: The school committee of each city or town, or any person that the school committee may designate, may issue for any child who has completed fourteen (14) years of age a special limited permit to work, permitting the employment of the child on days on which schools are not in session, and on school days at hours in which schools are not in session, at any legal employment and subject to the requirements of law limiting the employment of children.

Of course, that's barely in English so you may need a translator. ;)

7. Thank man. It says that I'm able to work in any place except a factory or sweatshop from 6:00 AM to 9:00 P.M. Hopefully sometime this month I'll go down and ask them. Money isn't really a problem for me. I'm not in it for that. I'm looking to get the HELL OUTTA THIS HOUSE! If I got to hang out at the shop, I'd gladly do it for free.

8. try to keep that to yourself when applying for a job. :D

9. Duely noted. :-D

10. yeah, man, not many people hire 14 year olds. You need to be at least 16 for most jobs, and at where i work, 16 year olds can handle money. However, I know no places that hire 14 year olds, and the only place that hires 15 year olds i know of is Chik-Fil-A. But don't count on getting any good job at 16 or 15 :scowl: