Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Pink Floyd fans

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Cosmo_Smallpiece, Mar 12, 2005.

1. I've got to learn 'One Of These Days' by Floyd and I'm not sure what kind of effect that is on the bass.

Can anyone enlighten me?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It's a delay.
    Pretty difficult to get the feeling of the song without it.

3. Jazz Ad

There also is the bridge.
    I never knew if the part was played with a synth or a bass but you can pull it out fine with either an autopan or a tremolo set on square wave (similar sound).

4. Thanks. Yeah you're right, it's impossible to get the feel of the song without it.

I've never heard of either autopan or tremolo for bass. I'm completely ignorant about effects as I don't normally use them. You don't happen to know who makes either of those do you?

5. thunderthief_29

thunderthief_29

Nov 20, 2004
    Lancs, Uk
    I used to have a couple of patches on my GT6B (before I sold it) for playing 'One of these days'.

It is delay for the main part then for the 'Storm' section ad in Tremelo. The tricky part is getting the speeds right, but the settings I had on the GT sounded excellent.

You could just use a guitar Tremelo pedal, because as you said I'm not sure if there are any for bass. BTW Im looking for a tremelo pedal now for the same track, since selling my Gt.

6. Jazz Ad

It all depends on how much you wanna spend.
    Most multieffects offer a decent tremolo/panner. I use my Korg AX-1B for this.
    Tremolo only affects volume so it works the same on bass and guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (doesn't offer square wave but can still get very rough)

[​IMG]

7. Ok I'll have a look around. Thanks for your help guys. This is going to be an expensive song.