Question for pre Gibson Tobias owners?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    On the pre Gibson Tobias basic, how can you tell what make the preamp and pickups are if there are not marked, the one in question is a bass with the three stacked knobs and one active/passive switch with a sn#of 446..does any one know what came with these basses?

Thanks guys!
  2. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    It's probably all Bartolini.

I think the differences between basic, classic and signature were the number of laminations in the neck and wings.

I think the electronics didn't differ too much between models, if memory serves (Disclaimer: and it may not).
  3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I've seen older ones with varying electronics packages, depending on what the person ordering it wanted. One thing the early ones, except for the very first ones made, have in common is that the stock Bartolini pickups will have curved tops but no markings on the top, unlike the Bartolini pickups you buy off the shelf. I've seen some VERY early models online that had more "normal" looking Bartolini pickups, I'm thinking those basses were so early that they predate the Tobias custom spec Bartolini electronics.
  4. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Well I have a pre-gibson Tobias and it appears to have the old style bart system in it, I am thinking of going with the newer bart electronic that are on most of the Tobias basses, but I am not sure if that would be a good idea or not, since the one I have in there now is pretty good, I wonder if it would be worth it to upgrade. I have the one in the link below