Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Psycho...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I just got a 400+ and it has the "5881 6L6 STR 425" Mesa tubes in it. I looked up the tubes at the Mesa site and they are listed a Russian.
    Are these Sovtek tubes?
    Also, they do not have the bottom collar band on them. I don't know why they are missing the collar band. I thought they were there so the retainer binding rings could grab them.
    Thanks, Bob M.

2. Rockbobmel

When I got the amp, I was expecting to have to swap out the Chinese junk that you speak of. It's a comfort to know I'm OK for quite a while with the Sovteks. The amp is very tight sounding, which I like. Very much like my Bassan 135, and I am trying different preamp tubs. They don't seem to make much difference in the tone. The stock tubes look very rugged too. I have not experimented much though. In my other amps, including the Eden, I can't seem to find a preamp tube that I like better, and I've tried in vain, than the Sovtek A and Bs. They give me a lot of headroom and detail. I tend to dig in, and they stay even sounding to me.
    I am happiest with the Mesa so far. The SVT was way too mid heavy, although I could dial it in, but too unreliable. It made me mental!
    It went back to the shop, getting fixed again, and is giong up for consignment sale.
    As usual, Thanks for all your kind help and wisdom.
    Bob

3. I know who asked me...
    I love the Svetlana 6L6GC power tubes and the Electro Harmonics 12AX7EH pre tubes. The Svets really are rugged and last a long time. They aren't as gritty sounding as Sovtek 5881 (I tried a set), and the EH pre tubes really took the hiss out of my units. Both my 400+ amps have this set up and sound sweet.

4. Rockbobmel

I know you are selling one of your 400+ amps, but are you going to sell the old Sovtek 5881s?, Or were they the Chinese tubes?
    Thanks, Bob