Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for QSC PLX owners....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JerseyFunk, Jan 20, 2004.

1. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    I'm slowly putting together a new rig. I just picked up a Epifani 410UL 4 Ohm cabinet which I'm planning on powering with a QSC PLX 2402 and an Eden Navigator Preamp. My question is can I run just one channel (700 watts @ 4 Ohms) from the 2402 or does it have to be in bridge-mono mode in order to run one cabinet?

Thanks,

Joe

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    You can run one channel...no problem.

If you think you might try bridging in the future, keep in mind that you'll have to use banana plugs or a modified speakon. If you don't, the lights will indicate that you're bridged but you really won't be.

3. Speakons are designed to be easily modified w/o tools. The male part that is, unless you've bought a preassembled cable or an adapter. Makes em cool to use. Can use one 4 conductor cable to run one channel, both channels, or brigded mono.

And you'll be doing just fine running one channel. Just use the parallel input selections on the Dip switch bank. PLX's work wonderfully. Great choice.

4. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Thank you for the quick responses and the additional info.

Joe

5. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    All you need for the speak-on wiring is a #2 phillips screw driver and a pair of wire strippers. There is a guy on TB selling a 1602 for $425-$450'ish. I think the guys name is "Biker4him".

I have a 1602 and love it. It would be nice to have the 2402, but I really dont need it. I run my 1602 bridged all the the time with a pair of Aggie 112's. It sounds great! I think the QSC was the most important thing I changed in my signal chain that made the most difference in the improvement of my never ending quest for the perfect sound.

Having a decent bass, speaker cab(s), and nice pre-amp is important. But often the quality of ones power section is overlooked while one is looking to improve tone. You are making a wise choice by choosing to go this route. You will not be dissapointed. QSC makes excellent amps.

6. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    OK I just picked up the 2402 brand new for $645 (nice)....I've been out of the music scene for about six years and I noticed that Speakons have become really popular. It looks like I'll need one for my cab. There's a 2 wire and a 4 wire. I'm assuming I can just use the 2 wire, right?
    I found a company that seems fairly cheap anyone have experience with them.
    www.procablesnsound.com

Joe

7. Two wires are fine if you never biamp. I do, so I use the two-pair (4 wire) type.

Pay attention here: get genuine Neutrik Speakon conectors. Do not get no-name, Asian knock-offs. The genuine parts have "Neutrik" printed right on them.

Reason: the imitations don't quite fit correctly. I have numerous clone cables, and many of them are difficult to move the unlock slider. This is a huge pain in the butt on QSC power amps because of tight space.

I'd suggest banana plugs on the QSC side, and Speakon on the cabinet side. This is a common cable type, and can be purchased anywhere. If your QSC is racked, consider a rear rack panel with Speakon jacks hard wired to the QSC. This saves wear and tear on the QSC jacks, and provides easy access on a dark stage.

8. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    The four conductor cable is a great idea for all around use. I'm just curious as to the largest gauge that you could possibly use.

9. JerseyFunk

JerseyFunk

Jan 8, 2004
    Now that you mention it I did read something about the cheap knock-off Speakons not being any good.
    bgavin....Is there a reason to go with bananas on the amp instead of Speakon?

Joe