1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for Ric Collectors

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by groucho, Mar 5, 2013.

1. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    I have a 2006 Midnight Blue 4003, and now I am lusting after a
    2008 Blue burst 4003 fretless (it's been on and off ebay a few times from the same seller - seems deals fell through and he relisted?)

The prices seems high but then I do not know the "collectors market" as it were.. Is a mint 2008 fretless 4003 in Blue Burst
    worth $2700 ?

I know some will say "if it is to you " but I am asking about it
    as a general objective thing. A good friend and owner of several Rics told me you can see all sorts of crazy prices asked for on ebay - doesn't mean they ever get that!

I offered him 2100 and got turned down, so I know he is
    not itching to sell fast.

Does a rare color add that much to the value?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't think it's worth half that asking price (well, maybe a little more than half, anyway). Just because it is a COY and fretless does not make it a high dollar collectible instrument. Unless, you think so. ;)

3. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

I agree. There are very few rics from the last 10 years worth over $2500 IMO. Blueburst was a rare color, but not the most desirable of the rare colors, and certainly not a good investment at $2700 if you ask me.

4. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    Thanks dudes!
    I heard from an old friend today whom I emailed - he runs the guitar section of a major store in the area and he told me the blue book value is only 1800 and not to pay more than 2100. Pretty much confirms what you all said.
    May go up to 2200 and walk...I L O V E that color !!!

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Make him another offer for $1900 and mention that that is more than bluebook...

I'd hold out, and not cave. $2700 seems ridiculously high to me... Even for a v63 or c64 in Midnight Blue, and those 2 would qualify as "specialty" basses, and should fetch more $$$.

6. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    AND..... from my experience.... fretless models are far less able to command those prices being that to many bass players... a fretless bass is not a useful tool. So you have put a sizable cut into the numbers of folks who will find the bass both desirable and useful/practical. But if he is in no hurry to sell and is targeting Ric collectors he may sit on that price as long as he wants till the right buyer comes along.

7. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Lucky you. I don't care what color it is, that bass is overpriced at $2,100. At $2,700 it's insanely overpriced.

8. mac94

mac94

Jun 7, 2009
    Burlington, VT

Even 1700 is to much imho.

9. Are you buying it as an invesment or to enjoy? Will it make you happy? If you can afford it and it truly is a dream bass, spending a few hundred $$ more than the mob believes it's 'worth' would not be a big deal to me.

I'd rather own a bass I can play and enjoy rather than spending all my time trying to buy for bottom dollar and antagonizing over it. Just my opinion of course....

10. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Wow. And someone else is asking for $4000 for the fretted blueburst RIC bass.

11. Ricktone

Ricktone

Mar 6, 2013
    Wow, Does that mean my COY Burgundy 4003 is worth 4 grand?

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    They're hoping to cash in on someone's tax return check maybe?

13. ko stradivarius

ko stradivarius

Aug 14, 2006
    St. Louis
    That is just insane. Some dummy will eventually pay it $3000 and think they got a steal.

14. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    I owned one and got it new. I think it was $1800 new. I hated it. It felt very "plastic" compared to my vintage Rickenbackers. The tone was not the same either. I had a 2006 since then and felt the same about it. Just not my thing.

15. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The asking prices of used Rickenbackers is one of the most truly insane things I have ever seen in this business.

16. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Asking prices are one thing, reality is another. Informed shoppers realize they can get a brand new one for $1600 street with full warranty (if bought new from a RIC dealer).

That said, there are some combinations of color and features that do attain higher prices from collectors or the "money is no object" set. Personally, I spent 3.5Gs on a Sea Green 4003 back at the height of market values (pre-recession). At that point, I had the money, wanted it bad, and it's one of the rarest of the colors. I doubt that I could recoup my investment now or in the future so I'll probably keep it forever. I've also spent as little as $500 for an almost new 4003, so things have a way of balancing out.

Blueburst was one of the most popular of RIC's Color of the Year program and are not exactly rare. Fretless are few and far between, though, in any color. This seller is assuming that the COY and FL double up the rarity and therefore the value, but he doesn't seem to realize that there are very few people looking for a Blueburst FL. But then it takes only one with a full pocket.

17. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Have you checked out the asking prices of used Fenders or Martins, for example? ;)

18. groucho

groucho

Sep 28, 2005
    Ringwood NJ
    Some of the COY Rics have sold way high on Ebay over the past few months (looking at closed auctions) I got a stupid good deal on my 2006 4003 Midnight Blue but i wanted the Blue Burst ! Ric refused to sell me one - called them early 2006 and they said "oh yes we are still making BBs will be for almost A YEAR to fill back orders" "no, sorry we won't take your order" (!) So I took the Midnight Blue my friend had coming in.... I am not a collector as such , have 12 basses but only a few collectables (1977 Guild B301, 1967 Hagstrom 8 string, 1978 Fender Fretless P Bass, and the Ric ^_^) I just still jones for that color but when you spend several grand for a bass can you really use it? Or do you just look at it and polish it? I have a beater P/J Fender with a Mighty Mite neck that I play the hell out of, cause dents and dings and club grunge don't matter on that plank.

19. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    The hitch with RIC's "Color of the Year" program (2000-2006 officially) was that you would have to have your RIC dealer order during the calendar year. Blueburst was the 2005 COY, and I ordered a 4004Cii late in 2005 from North Coast. Some of the larger RIC retailers ordered dozens of each model in anticipation that they would have buyers sign up for them. You would have had to find a retailer that still had one unspoken for. In my case, RIC was making 4004 models in large batches spread out by many months, and it was late 2008 before they got to making most of the Blueburst 4004 models that had been back ordered. I received my Cii January 2009.

20. Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Feb 12, 2013
    If anyone cares, I believe Apple Music in Portland has a blueburst 4004cii (IE, a modern model) still in stock. Also, Olivia's vintage has a blueburst 4004 laredo.

You know you're obsessed when you can recall the inventories of online stores from memory :/