Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Rickenbacker owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kegbarnacle, Nov 6, 2004.

1. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    I am presently doing a restoration project on an old early 70's japanese import bass. I am going to use Bartolini Rick replacement pickups and need some help....

I've filled in the cavity where the old pickup was, and now need to route cavities for the new pickups, and I want to put them in approximately the same place that Rickenbacker puts their pickups. Could a Rick owner please take some measurements for me? I need a measurement from the edge of the bridge - not the saddles - to the edge of each pickup that is closest to the bridge.

Thanks!

***Should this be in pickups??

2. Does this help? i went to the edge of the bridge to the chrome cover. And from the bridge to the edge of the pickup mounting ring?

3. To the chrome cover its 2 1/4

To the pickup ring is 1 7/16

4. kegbarnacle

kegbarnacle

Nov 18, 2003
    Phoenix
    yeah, this is very helpful. I'm only shooting for 'close enough' anyway, the only way to really get the sound right is to just buy a Ric.

How about the measurement from the chrome pickup cover over the bridge pickup to the neck pickup??

gracias

5. From the back of the bridge pickup cover to the bottom end of the neck pickup is 4 7/16
    Or from the front of the Pickup cover to the bottom end of the neck pickup 3 3/16

6. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Interestingly, the neck pickup (except on early models and reissues) lies right under where the theoretical 24th fret would be, and the bridge pickup is right under where the theoretical 36th fret would be. I'm no master of physics, but this pickup placement, and therefore the overtones that are enhanced or subdued by this placement, seems to be part of what makes a Rick sound like a Rick.