Question for Sadowsky 5-string owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Churchbassist, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Churchbassist

Nov 3, 2001
    I'm very close to placing an order with Roger regarding a Sadowsky 5-string bass but wanted an opinion from all of you current Sadowsky owners. My question regards neck width at the lower positions. I currently play a Carvin LB-75 which has a 1.75" wide neck at the fingerboard. I went to a local store and played a 2001 Fender American Jazz 5-string (1.875" width) for quite a while. I was amazed at how bulky and wide the neck was at the 1st through 5th fret. For those of you who are familiar with the Fender and the Sadowsky ... how does the Sadowsky compare in comfort? I realize that the width is only one factor and that neck depth, not neck width should be my real concern. Fender does not publish the neck depth at the 1st fret, nor does Roger. The Carvin in my opinion is too narrow (affects clean playing). I noticed that Laklin is measured at 1.81 (JO model). I find it hard to believe that .065 can make that much difference.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I wish I could just fly to New York and try one, but cannot so have to rely on many, many correspondences and articles.
  2. Hi!

I believe my Sadowsky Vintage 5 is 1.875" at the nut and 3.0" at the 21st fret (if 5 string). String spacing as a Jazz bass. I find it very comfortable for my short fingers. For me, it is much more comfortable to play than any Fender 5 string I've played. Another factor is that there is enough wood on the edges of the neck that I don't pull the strings off the fretboard - something I have to be careful about with my Fodera.

Roger's basses have a trial period, so there is very little risk.

Take care!