Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

question for Sadowsky owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doug Parent, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I've got a MV5 with two humcancelling jazz pickups. here's my question to those who have the same electronics:
    1) Do you notice a difference in volume or fullness between between any of the strings? I noticed the G and D string seem thinner sounding than the BEA strings. (I wonder if this is an anomoly which is the reason for this post actually)

I think the BEA strings are one coil, and the DG string comprise the other coil in this split coil pickup.

2) I tried the single coil pickups yesterday in this bass which Rodger sent me and found the sound to be fairly different....have you tried these as well? which do you prefer? I found the mid range to be more present with a much more vintage vibe, but with less edge than the split coil version. I think I prefer the split coils if they were more balanced and will ask Rodger if maybe another set might be the ticket. I know SD makes these pickups and have no idea what the consistency factor is.

2. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    Hi,

Can you please elaborate on the difference between the humbucker and the single coil tone? I'm thinking about putting the single coils in my Vintage five. As for the volume levels, I'm sure that you have probably already done this, but just in case, did you lower the pickups on the B-E string side to compensate for the difference in volume?

Ben

3. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    The single coil tone is more round with more mids. Its also more "open" sounding with less emphasis on any particular freqs compared to the more 'scooped" modern tone of the split coils. I think the split coils have more of a defined low end edge (definition) with the same "edge" on the high end. (makes a good slap tone)
    yes, I tried lowering the pickups on the B string side. I made a pretty uneven angle which helped considerably. But I prefer not to resort to unusual solutions if I can help it. I rather have the option of starting from a neutral point with the basic tone intact. Hope that helps. I'll get another set of split coils from Rodger and report my findings.

4. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It must be an anomally , Because All of the Metros I have played including my own RV5 are very even in volume and tone across the fingerboard. That was what sold me on them, I had owned and played far too many fives that had lousy E strings ecsp.! I would suggest before you switch too the single coils that you try the vintage tone control, I really feel it opens up Rogers basses and diffenently gives you more of a vintage, punchier fingerstyle tone vs. the Modern slap tone.

5. Emperor Elite

Emperor Elite

Oct 20, 2004
    \
    I played five Metros at Sadowsky's shope last Tuesday, and each of them was even across the strings and up and down the neck.

Ben

6. Doug Parent

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    thanks for your feedback everyone. Hopefully it will be an easy fix. The single coil pickups sound fine in this bass, so it must be an anomally.