Question for SansAmp Bass Driver DI users...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, I was just wondering what the most popular connection method was around here...

Do you:

-Plug your bass into it and then into your amps input?

-Have it in your effects loop?

-Use it as a stand-alone preamp?

Just curious...
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    only in a parallel loop. i'm a weirdo like that i guess.
  3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

As a stompbox (between bass and amp). I use the RBI as a standalone preamp.

The SABDDI can be used as a standalone preamp, but it's not best suited for that application.
  4. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I've been using the Sansamp Acoustic DI as pre in front of an AI Focus SA and into the effects loop of amps at rehearsal halls to bypass the preamp. I don't like in front of another preamp - tends to sound muddy to me.
  5. I used to bypass my old Behringer's preamp in favor of the Sansamp's, because I didn't like its natural solid state sound. Now that I've got my Ampeg it's just used as a stompbox when I need extra drive.
  6. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Actually, the newer ones (not programable) have a Line/Instrument switch that is a big improvement. In the Line mode it sends a much stronger signal and drives my power amp just fine. Instrument mode is better for use as an effects pedal.

I use mine just before my Avalon U5 if I want a more overdriven sound than I can get with my super sweet Avalon.
  7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I was under the assumption that the new programmable SABDDI's were supposed to also be able to effectively drive a power amp also. Is that not the case? Guess I need to do a little research...
  8. joetiii

Oct 27, 2002
    I've plugged my bass into the SABDDI and then into our PA when I get lazy. I love the sound better than when I ran the bass into the SABBDI and then through the effects return of my combo.

I got the RBI unit and had a hookup problem last week. I had problems with farting out the PA speakers on a previous gig so the other day I'm tried to adjust the settings on my RBI XLR output before going out. I didn't have the 1/4 output hooked into my power amp. Just the XLR sansamp output plugged into my PA head.

My understanding is the XLR output is the same signal as the wet sansamp 1/4 ouput. What I heard was a sound that none of the controls had an effect over except for the XLR output. When it was set ti minimum, you would expect no sound. But what I got was a clean unblended signal that could be heard and the volume controled by the PA channel input. When you turned up the XLR output, it was if you were blending in the Drive set at maximum. A Real nasty distortion.

Since I couldn't figure it out, I just set XLR at minimum and went to the gig. With my poweramp now hooked up to the 1/4 out, the XLR functioned as it should have and the signal blended same as the Level out. Any thoughts?
  9. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Sorry, when I said newer I wanted people to know I had the newest - but not the programable - unit. I checked with Tech21 and the programable ones have the same option.
  10. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    These days I mostly just keep it as a backup in case my amp fails. When I did use it, I used it as a stompbox (between bass and amp input), and ran the XLR out direct to the PA.

- Frank.