Question...for Size of Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SnowBaby518, Jan 12, 2004.

Do you play a Short Scale??

Poll closed Jan 16, 2004.
  1. Yes.

1 vote(s)
  2. No.

6 vote(s)
  1. SnowBaby518

SnowBaby518 Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Southern Cali- US of A
    Ok,I'm only like 5'1" and so I'm kinda pettite and small (heh)...And sum one from TalkBass told me too try a Short Scale,What would you suggest??

2. I would suggest going to a store and seeing if a "normal" sized bass feels comfortable to you. If it does then you will find yourself with alot more options on styles of basses available to you. If it feels too large then by all means get a short scale bass.
  3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    What he said, only twice. Besides many a small person play a normal sized bass.
  4. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    A normal p-bass is not especially big or heavy - you should be handle it easly.
    There are some realy small ibanez sdgr basses, but I wouldn`t recommend them - they`re built fine, but just don`t sound too good - even with emg`s.
    Besides - look at JT - he`s not a big fella, and he plays a 7 string, or even a double neck...

A good strap, proper balance and hand positioning, that`s all. Good luck with your search.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I started playing bass when i was about that size. Fit me fine. You should be ok.
  6. Stacey, Tina Weymoth is 5'1 and she plays a Fender Jazz, here's a photo.

Carol Kaye is 5 '2 and she also plays mostly Fenders, (full scale).

I'm 5 '7, but my point is, size only matters as a preference and feel.........does the bass feel good in your hands??

7. Good advice here, you should try different basses...

...but all that said, if you feel really uncomfortable playing a long scale bass, don´t hesitate to try shorter scale instrument. After all, playing should be fun. And it doesn´t mean you´ll have to play small basses for the rest of your life. I started out with a short scale bass and had no trouble "upgrading" to long scale few years later.
  8. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  9. redwood

Oct 3, 2002
    Buffalo, NY
    I remember reading an article in bass player mag where Me'Shell Ndegeocello was saying that she couldn't reach the tuning keys on her bass when she had it strapped on. That didn't keep her from using a full scale. The loss in tonal capabilities (as well as the choice of manufacturers) would lead me to advise to go for the full scale. Learn to stretch those fingers ;)
  10. Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    I'd recommend EB/MM Sterling or Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones model. The 3+1 headstocks on the sterling would be a shorter reach but the Lakland would be much lighter in weight. Stay away from short scales basses.

Try out some basses and see what works for you. Dont listen to salespeople.