1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for some you old timers whos played bass a long time

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 10, 2010.

1. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i would lose the 18 and the 210's and go 215!!!

2. This is advice I would have given...

And regarding DAcat's advice...

This is what I use as my main small club gig rig and it definitely delivers!

Attached Files:

3. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I second the ideas of a good 410 (Epifani, Eden, SWR Goliath, Mesa, Bergantino, etc.) and a Sansamp paraDI (or VT bass) pedal. I prefer my CA6/ART rig over my Pre-Fender silverface SWR 350, but to call the SWR pro family "sterile" is somewhat off the mark, IMHO. They all have the same basic pre amp, and a mid-scoop that was once plotted by a TBer a few years back. No matter, you can EQ it away, pretty much. Also, the power section of the 750 is fine, and can be accessed via the effects loop. Add the fancy tube pre of your choice, use a Sansamp pedal, or whatever.

Assuming you have a good punchy cab, the SWR 350 EQ for "creamy" needs to be something like this: plenty of gain on the pre-tube, so that the clip light comes on a lot, enhance off, bass at noon or slightly boosted or cut, depending on the room, mids heavily boosted around 250 hz (or deeply cut at 600hz, depending on your instrument/strings/touch), highs cut to 9 o'clock or so, lots of volume, medium soft touch over pickups, passive P-bass tone control about 60% cut, possibly LaBella flats.

4. The amp I use at church is a SWR all it saids on is Professional series 350 and a 410 SWR 410, we have a big band drums, congas, piano,acoustic guitar, electric guitar and7 t0 8 singers. And I dont like using a guitar pick tp play bass. I put my thumb on top of the pickup and play close to the middle of the neck and pickups. I play with 2 or 3 fingers.

5. A friend knows a guy thats got a cab for sale in good shape,he saids. Ive never heard of it. Its made by a company called Krank. Its a 410 and 212s in one cab you can play them all together are seperate. I know they list around $1200.00 bucks. I dont the specs except its rated at 1600 watts he said and it uses eminence speakers.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Maybe I missed something. But does the church rig give you the sound you're looking for? If so, why not buy the same thing for your other band gigs?

7. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I don't know about those Krank cabinets as the company primarily caters to the HM geetar crowd.

8. I would love to buy the same thing,but we play alot of outside gigs and our drummer is heavy handed and are guitar player cranks as loud as he can go so I dont think the church rig would cut it. plus at church we have an awesome P.A. and monitors and they also run me tru the monitors. I love those guys in the band but Ive never played on such a hot stage, they are good muscians and thats the way they like it.

9. It could also be that an 18" speaker is generally about 95db sensitivity, a 2x10 more in the range of 100db or so. So your 2x10 is a lot louder than the 18 most likely.
    When I have played boogie and bagend 18 cabs I always needed to pour on a lot of power to get a very slight improvement in low end. You can get the same low end out of a 2x12 or 15 if you eq right.

I also would look into a compressor pedal or one of the sansamp units.

10. What you think guys, Iam about ready to tell the guitar player I dont tell him what to buy are play, and Iam ready to to tell the sound man Iam the Bass player not you, what ever I get deal with it. Iam strongly looking at maybe buying a Carvin BRX10.4NEO 410 cab 4ohms 1in titanium driver, power handling 1200 watts more then my SWR. It saids it reproduces frequencies from low B (26Hzto22Hz) Sensitivity:104db@1wand135db@1200w. What do you guys think and tell the other guys I like some feed back before I buy and put the other stuff on craigslist. Thanks alot Guys. Well I got to go to work i found a part time job 3 days a week Sunday night tru tues still lets me play Saturday nights and at church Sunday morning. At my age I guess I are to be Thankful I still can kick my 32yr old son and laws butt ask him.

11. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Im Curios about the Carvin cabs too.. but you may have better luck starting a new thread with Carvin BRX10.4NEO 410 in the heading to attract more viewers and potential answers..

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
  13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Have you bought anything yet?

Try a couple things first if you haven't. If you play an SWR amp, find about 250hz, between 200-300 on a midsweep or use a 250hz slider and push it up about 1/3 - 1/2 way, (about 4-5 notches or so.) SWR amps are scooped in this region so with that correction, you should consider that about your "even" setting and adjust from there. Next, go on your P-bass and turn the volume all the way up and turn the tone knob down a bit, like from 10 down to 6 or 7 if it had numbers on it.

Peavey made some really good stuff but their 18's aren't really one of them. But put your 18 on the bottom, if it has wheels, try laying it on it's side so it's all in contact with the floor, then put your 210 on it's side on top of it so all the speakers are lined up, up and down (vertical) and none are side-by-side.

You're from here. If you've got a gig at a local place or something, let me know. If I have time that day, I'll pop in and have a listen.

14. fourfinger

fourfinger Gold Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2003
    Central Ohio
    LOL !!!!!

My 2 "old-timer" cents:

* try all 10s

* try Flatwounds

* dial in your sound with the band playing, not while playing solo, because if it sounds good solo then all that goodness is going to vanish into the mix as soon as the band kicks in.

(Not necessarily in that order.)

15. DAcat

DAcat Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Iowa
    Excellent Point!! Peace...DAcat :cool:

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Is it the current series of BW Low Riders? In that case it is a modern, very capable PA woofer. In a ggod enclosure and used with active cross over below 100Hz or so, and powered by PA amp it gives plenty of really deep, strong bass.
    But I fully agree with many posters that it will not feel very "fat" or "punchy" - those qualities is more in the range above the duty of the 18". It will sound "big" and effortless, though.
    The 80-150 Hz is what makes the bass sound "fat", IMO.

/Alexander

17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    gary mitchell, those Carvin specs are plain bogus, unless the cab is 50 cubic feet or so... :smug: Or a huge horn, maybe...

Expect a regular 410 for bass to be somewhat flat to 60-80Hz in order to get a sensitivity of no less than 100 dB/W.

That is a range that is sufficient for most players and scenarios.

/Alexander

18. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Do we have an answer yet from Gary regarding pick or fingers?

19. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Yes. Fingers. Post #64.

20. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    SWR pro gear is superior to their workingmans if you're changing stuff up. The 2x10s story works for others. You like the rig at church I concur sell and get one. Personally the music you play the I'd go with a real 4x10. It will give you that fat. I've stacked 2x10s and like the articulate thing but didn't get the fat that you seem to like.
    Enjoy.
    Oh yeah, the poster asked did you use fingers I was thinking your quest starts there then strings bass et al.