Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for someone with a Brice V2 - 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KeiBau, Feb 22, 2004.

1. Yes. I've already done a search, but didn't see an answer to my question. With all the favorable comments about the Brice basses lately, I decided to order a Brice V2 - five string model from Rondo to use as my intro to fretless. I'm wanting to change strings as soon as it arrives (hopefully on Tuesday), but have seen a comment referring to the V2 being a string through body. The Rondo website doesn't say, so I've assumed that it is not. However, if it is a string through body, I've already got a spare set of D'Addario Chrome flats in super long length that would probably work, and I wouldn't need to run out and buy another set. Any first hand knowledge about this would be appreciated. Also, for those who know the instrument, please feel free to make any additional comments on the model, pro or con.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The V2 is not string-through-body. My V2 6 string fretless is nice sounding and playing. :bassist:

3. Thank you Philbiker. I hope I find the same satisfaction as you did.

KeiBau

4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    It does have a string-through bridge, but there are no holes in the body.

5. Thank you. I'm assuming that, given the bridge configuration and that it's a 34" scale length bass, "long" length strings for a 34" bass are required and the "super longs" (36") that I currently have will not work. The brown truck is to arrive tomorrow and I wanted to be prepared for a string change. The reviews that I've read suggest to change the strings first thing and I prefer flats anyway. For some reason, I'll be wanting to play it immediately (and with good strings). But, I suppose most all of you understand that.

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I had to spend about a half hour doing a setup before I could really enjoy mine. It's not perfect, it looks like it has a mean rising tongue, as I've seen from pictures on the forum. I need to pull the neck some time and see if it's shimmed (probably is).

I find the factory roundwound strings to be satisfactory, I wish I could afford a set of 6 string flats but they're so darn expensive. :(

7. My Brice V2 five string just arrived about an hour ago. I pulled it out of the box to look at it, but had to get right back to work. My first thought was that it is smaller and lighter than my BTB, but it does look nice (the transparent black quilt model). I ordered new strings yesterday and they arrived at the same time, so I'm ready to get started as soon as the work day is over. I'm going to try both TI Jazz Flats and DA Chrome flats, and intend to set it up to my liking after the string change.

8. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Congratulations! I hope it is a good bass for you!