Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for Steve ?

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by tyjacks, Jan 20, 2003.

1. tyjacks

tyjacks Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Steve I purchased your CD and I really enjoyed it. I had misfourtune of having my Modulus Q5 stolen, and it was a great piece, but tight string spacing. I'm currently trying to decide to replace it with a simular Q5 or try their Q5 'Wide Neck'. I've been trying to find out if they still exist, their web site says it does but none of the dealers have ever seen or ordered one. I called Modulus directly and they didn't even have any, but could do a special custom order. My question is have you ever seen or played one? I know its a Q6 neck with 5 strings. I've also been thinking of just buying a Q6, how does the semi-hollow compare to the standard body? Thanks for any information, CD sounds great!!

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi ty

I've never played a wide Q5, sadly, so I can't comment there.

the Q6, however, it one of the most playable and comfortable 6s I've ever come across... my fretless feels very very easy to use, and currently I'm using a fretted solid bodied Q6 as well, which sounds amazing. If you do get one, go with Aguilar preamp, as it sounds great...

the difference between solid and hollow is kinda subtle, but the hollow one feels slightly more resonant, with a more controlable midrange... I'm really enjoying the solid one as well...

I'm really glad you like the CD - please play it to your friends, and let them know where they can get it... :D

take care

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. tyjacks

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Steve thanks for the information. Does the Aguilar preamp have a 3 band eq simular to the Bartolini NTMB. Can you describe the tonal differences?

Thanks,
    Tom

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi tom,

the aguilar is 3-band, and seems to be less 'dark' than the barts - the combination of bart pickups and preamp is a little too dark for me - the preamp sounds great with the lane poors in my fretless, and the pickups sound great with the aguilar pre in the fretted I've got at the moment!

The aguilar seems to just 'fit' the modulus sound - the mid frequency removes just the right amount of wooliness for solo work, and the bass and treble controls are centred on really useful frequencies that aren't too harsh or boomy

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

5. tyjacks

Dec 23, 2002
    Memphis, TN.
    Thanks for the info, I'll be placing my order for a Q6 on Monday. . .