Question for Sub Users (or ACME Users)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ESP-LTD, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    I've played in rooms I thought were boomy before but I never really questioned why. I was wondering if boomy is caused by a "bad cabinet" in any room, or any cabinet in a "bad room"? (or maybe both?)

Do you ever find that having a cabinet flat to 30hz (or 40hz for 4 string) just makes too much bass for a room and you have to throttle it back so you don't make the walls shake or overwhelm the mix?
  2. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I've experienced "boomy rooms" but I guess I've been lucky to be able to either EQ, cabinet placement, or gain adjustment the problem out. Most of the time the problem frequency is at the top of or above my subwoofers range.

Getting your good cabinet away from the wall and off the floor can help in not loading the room.

I run in stereo and filter my 2-10" at 50Hz.
  3. My regular venue has this problem. I've had turn turn the bass control of my SWR IOD most of the way down, and the mids most of the way up.

I tried using my analyzer to EQ the bass rig to the venue, but the pink noise generator sounds like a jet engine, and the bar owner wasn't having any of it.

This particular venue is difficult anyway, since my cabs placement is dictated by the stage size and layout. Mine are currently located at Stage Right, and face directly into the stage center, not at the audience. The highs are totally lost, and only the non-direction big lows get out to the rest of the room.

I also have this exact placement issue in another venue I regularly play. But... I'm starting to play Hammond keys through this rig when I'm not playing bass, so I'm going to have to figure out how to position it so the audience can hear the highs, or the keys will get completely lost.