Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for SWR Super Redhead or Eden Metro Owners

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mchildree, Jul 10, 2001.

1. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'm looking for a bit of input from those of you who currently own either of these amps or have owned one in the past. I'm thinking seriously of down-sizing my current rig and investing in a high-end combo...probably one of these two.

Realistically, what size gigs would one of these cover well, either with an extension cab or without? Have you found yourself underpowered, and if so, how large was the venue/volume requirement?

Finally, both these things are as heavy as my Goliath Sr....are they tough to carry around? Small size is fine, but if it weighs a ton, it's not that much better.

Thanks in advance for any info!

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    When I started the gig I am doing right now, the church rented a Super Redhead until I bought my rig. I used it about two months. Yes is sounds great. Yes it is heavy. Fortunately I didn't travel with it, but you are correct that it weighs as much or more than most cabinets.

As for covering a room, that isn't really a fair question. If I was playing an outdoor stadium of 50,000, I would still use a 210 combo. Because all I do with amp is monitor anyway. It depends on how you use your amp.

On one occasion, I did play a set outdoors to about 200 people using the Redhead without reinforcement. This wasn't at hard rock levels, but it was fine. It is plenty loud. Even when up against drums and and guitar amps.

If you want to tack on an extension, you basically have the same thing as a stack.

I prefer combos. I just ridded myself of a stack for a Nemesis NC210P. It sounds a lot like the Metro. But less power.

If I were going to buy a really nice 210, I'd get the metro. I just prefer the sound of Eden over SWR.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got a Metro.

I bought it with the intention of later getting a Bag End 1x15 to use as a second cabinet for louder gigs.

I haven't needed any more volume yet.

I play in an oldies band, 50's, 60's and 70's, and we get really loud on the 70's stuff. Led Zeppelin, Grand Funk, etc. I have had no problems being heard over 2 distorted guitars and drums, and I don't go through the PA. I use my amp.

We have played private parties both indoors and out, as well as small and medium size clubs.

I still want to get a Bag End 15, but it would only be to get a little more low end. I play 5's and the 2x10s get the low B pretty good, but it would be a little more solid with an additional 15 and the additional 200 watts of headroom that I would get.

I have played the Super Redhead as well, it is also a great combo.

I like my Eden a little more, but you can't go wrong with either one.

Look for a used one of either make.

I got mine, only used 3 1/2 months, with cover, manual and footswitch for $950.

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i might as well have a super redhead (i have a bass 350 and a goliath jr). for smaller gigs it works great, but i really need my other cabinet (triad) when playing louder stuff. but i play in ridiculously loud bands (one is a quartet with a loud-as-hell hammond player, the other is a 9 piece funk/rock band). the trio rarely gets PA, and even WITH PA i need the stack with the 9 piece band.

but again, these bands are REALLY loud.

jason

5. JohnP

JohnP

Jun 9, 2001
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner Guitars, DTAR, Seymour Duncan,
    both those amps weigh too much..the eden has more bajo', the swr sounds like --an swr..i used a redhead for a while in an alt. country thang (yeee HAA!) and it wasn't even loud enough for a band with a tele thru a deluxe and a drummer..I used a metro on 2 gigs..ok, but heavy. might as well carry a cab.

These were festival gigs where I was using these amps as intended..the "bass monitor" idea..you know Mike..the Loud Direct Box thing..

But- i just got an Ashdown abm combo, with 1x15..you have to look at this thing..not as bad as those two, weight wise..and sounds fab. loud with good lows.

i picked it up in as new cond, it's the new "evo" one with a Jensen- for $500, which suits me fine..enough money leftover for a coupla earthquakes..uh make that earthquake jr's, as i am cutting down on the size of my rig too.
    jp