Question for T. E. Twin Valve experienced (sound)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ratzpaul, Dec 6, 2005.

1. ratzpaul

Aug 19, 2004

basically I'd like to know what to expect from the sound of a Trace Elliot Twin Valve. Does it break up and do the gritty / dirty tube sound at higher volume? :bassist:

I'm currently using an Sansamp BDDI to simulate this sound with my SS rig... easy to tell that I'm interested in the true tube experience.

So, am I expecting too much from this amp? I heard that the V4, V6 and V8s out there can do this quite well, but you don't hear much about this older tube amps from Trace Elliot.

Thanks a lot,
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The Valve series is notable, in my opinion, for a killer clean sound. It is warm and harmonically complex, but with great clarity. In fact, the Twin Valve Combo was my first "Trace tube experience", and it definitely got me hooked. :D You can get some breakup out of the Valve series, and it's not bad, but the amp is designed more for clean headroom. Still, you can dial in some nice slightly overdriven tones, if you like.

Volume wise, I found my 1x15 Twin Valve Combo to be adequate for a medium loud practice, but that's about it. IME, 100 watts of tube power isn't quite enough for the live venues that I find myself playing.

Great amp, though!

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA