1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for tech types: can I use a splitter out of my wireless into two heads at the same time?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jbravo, Feb 26, 2016.

1. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I have an AKG wireless, a Mesa D800, a Rumble 500, two GK MBE 210 cabs, and will be buying a couple subway 15 cabs.

What I'm thinking is I would buy/make a splitter cord to run out of the wireless receiver, and split so the signal goes to both heads. I'll then run the Mesa stack clean, and the other distorted.

Do I really need this? Probably not... But for the price of the cable it could be fun.

I don't see how it could hurt anything, but I would like to verify that before doing it:thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for any comments/ ideas, etc! :bassist:

2. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

"should" work, cheap experiment. little chance of hurting anything....

jbravo likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I loved using clean & dirty A/B rigs. I just didn't find too many stages to fit it all and even fewer soundmen wanting to deal with that much gear.
    A Y would work fine for your experiment. But I always got loop hums when I did it, I ended up buying a Lehle P-Split box that isolated the two signals for noise free performance.

jbravo likes this.
  4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Yes, but it's possible that you will have a ground loop because most inputs do not route ground return currents in identical ways, and the result is currents between the two grounds.

You can try it though, the D-800's input ground is pretty stout and starred to the main bonded ground bus sharing only an RF ground at the chassis input point. Won't hurt anything.

/\/\3phist0 and jbravo like this.
  5. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Thanks guys! I guess I'll try it with a cable first and if I see enough potential I'll spring for a proper box.

Linnin likes this.
  6. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I don't know how often I'd actually use it live, but we only play about once a month and run the sound off the stage.

One of our rooms has a big enough stage though, and we once in awhile play outside during the summer...

7. Pat C.

Pat C. Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Tuscaloosa, AL, USA
    Something to consider, the difference in sound between a Y-cord and "proper" splitter box can be quite a bit, IME. I attempted to use a simple Y cable to split to do some recording and it was horrible, ground hum, signal loss, etc. Now I've got a A/B/Y box from Loop-master and it's quiet and sounds good.

jbravo likes this.
  8. jbravo

jbravo

Jun 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    I've been checking out different brands of A/B/Y boxes this afternoon. Quite a range of prices...
    Thanks for the info!

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016