question for the 5-stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Sep 14, 2003.

1. I have been playing a 5-string now on and off for about a year and am still undecided about it. the extra string does not effect my playing at all. but I am finding that I just don't play on the B-string much. it is nice to not have to detune for drop D stuff but other than hitting the D and sometimes using notes so I don't have a switch positions I am not finding the 5th string very usefull these days. I'm sure people do use them but I am just starting to wounder if it is for me or not. what do you think about this. I play pretty much rock oriented stuff which might be the reason. I'm not asking if one is better because there in no answer to that. but what do you use the b-string for on a regular basis. other than a thumb rest:D
  2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I use the low B when the music calls for it, and only then. Notes on the B string are easily over-used at the expense of the music at large. This is only my personal ears, experience, and taste talking.

I often find that bassists tribalize themselves into one certain "camp" - four string and nothing else guys, passive electronics and nothing else guys, flatwounds and nothing else guys, and so on. To me, there's no need for that, although I can understand the appeal.

If the five isn't speaking to you or calling to you anymore, put it aside and work on what is calling and speaking to you. It's that easy. You won't get hauled off in the night or get threatening letters in the mail - there are no music police.

Keep the five around, though. You might change your mind.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Well, my 5 string has no low B.. it has a high C, which I don't you would use at all. :D I like to do chords amd whatnot however, and its very useful for a lot of my scales, etc. When I had a low B, I used it on occasion, but mostly just to make position changing easier- I rarely needed anything below the standard range. If you ilke the feel of a 5, or it is useful on occasion, keep it. If it doesn't hinder yourplaying, and you don't have any problems with it, then why switch? If nothing else, just keep it around, because it will probably come in handy down the road. Play whatever your most comfortable with and feel is hte most useful to you.
  4. Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    I find that after playing My Stingray 5 fpr the past 2 years the B string does not get in my way. If I need it it there depending what I am playing.I play with a guitar player the does a lot of songs in F and F# which I find easier on the B string.
    Also I can switch back between my 5 string and 4 stind and not think about it .
  5. Stingray4Christ

Jan 28, 2003
    I do use my B string a lot but I also play many styles. I use the B the most to avoid changing positions though. Hey the notes are there if you need them. Mostly I like 5's because they just feel more comfortable to me than 4's and 6's.
  6. Personal preference as much as anything. This debate can go on for ever and apply to 6 and 7 strings as well. I play two fives on a regular basis a Pedulla Pentabuzz and Pedulla MVP-5, and for me, I can't find basses that suit me better. Best of luck.
  7. Like the other posters said I like not having to change positions like I have to on my 4 string Jazz bass.I've been playing fives for a few years and like them better than fours,but never really got the effect below E till we did a gig outdoors a couple of months ago.When we did Hootchie Cootchie Man it drops to D below low E on the turnaround and it just shook everybody.This was the first time I used my whole rig at a fairly loud volume and it really killed.The lead player had been wondering what the deal was with fives and now he won't let me play without it.I don't think you can get the real effect of the B string without a rig that will do it justice and have somewhere to crank it up.My Jazz will probably be for sale pretty soon.
  8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I'm a five guy, I only play four if no fiver is available.

I like the low notes, and don't believe I use them too much. Regardless, there's a lot more to the B string than the five notes below E. I frequently use the B string to play *above* E.
  9. LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Like others, I used it more for reducing having to change position up and down the neck than for the below low E notes. The disclaimer however is that when you do find a suitable place to bang that low D or Eb, it's like thunder unleashed. I've rarely if ever actually used an open B or 1st fret C in a gig, but from there on up, if you don't overuse them, the low D or Eb can be a very powerful note in your bass line. You could do the same thing with a Hipshot drop tuner on a 4 string, which is what I did before I went to a 5.
  10. BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I like having a two octave range available within a five fret spread. It gives you a lot more options, and it makes it a whole lot easier to play the more melodic lines.