Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for the amp experts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VRT_RONBO, Oct 9, 2005.

1. I currently play small club sized venues mainly (100-200 people) and the occasional outside gig. Mainly pop/rock. I currently use a Hartke B90 combo for gigs and it seems to do ok but does lack some punch outdoors. I have really been gassing for a head/cab setup and I would like to get a setup that will cover everything I might runacross so I don't have to upgrade again. I really like some of the 300W heads with a 1x15 and 2x10 cabs. Ampeg, GK, Carvin, SWR they all have great units.
    What I am asking is this: Will a 300w head with a 1x15 and 2x10 cab be completely overkill in these situations? My bass playing friend says "too much power is like too much money...no such thing". I am not so sure. :confused:

2. If it's too loud, turn it down... but yes, that should be loud enough, especially a 300W tuber.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree with your friend.

Definitely not overkill. Besides you can always bring your volume down if you need to...but if you don't have headroom you can't keep turning up. I wouldn't think of doing outdoors at less than 300 watts.

4. I guess I just didn't want to look like a fool coming into a small-medium sized club with way too much amp. I deffinately see your point. I know the extra power will be a welcome boost outdoors. :bassist:

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm not necessarily telling you to go and get an 8x10 cabinet...There are a lot of compact cabs these days and smaller sized heads that belie the power and volume they can produce. I use a fairly large head (50lbs, 4 rack space) but I have a cab that's half the size of a 4x10, and is VERY loud.

The other night we played a benefit show at a fairly small coffee house (packed at 70 people) and I didn't feel like I was bringin' a wembley sized rig into a shoebox, and had my volume pulled way back, but still filled the room nicely.

6. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm surprised you have been able to gig with what you have, but then again I never go through the PA...

7. The B90 does pretty well in doors. Plenty loud enough. But outdoor it does have to go through the PA which is why I lose all of the punch.

8. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yeah that B90 can't keep up. Go with an Avatar package, that was my step up from my B90. 307 watts with a 212 works great, even outdoors.