Question for the Church goers/Christians...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Holy War, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    How did you decide on which church/denomination that you wanted to go to? I was baptized Methodist and grew up going to both Methodist and Episcopalian churches.

Since High School/College, I havent really been going to church at all, but I want to get back into it now that Im starting to mature into my "adult life." Anyways, Im just wondering on how you guys setteled on what church was right for you.

Thanks!

And I also ask that if you are not a Christian and have nothing to contribute to this thread, please do not post at all!

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Not currently up on the whole religion thing, but did go to church as a younger person.

Imo you can't really get this sort of answer from an internet forum. If you're unsure on what denomination you want to go with then go to a selection of the churches in your area. Go to the services and perhaps speak with the minister/priest/whatever they have there and use your own judgement and decide for yourself. You could research the differences between them on the web as well, I think most of them have websites these days.

Experience is the best way, it's how I decided to not go anymore.

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Personally, I prefer non-denominational churches.

It might help to google the different denominations to find one that most closely resembles your beliefs.

4. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    I just dont know how much more clear I could be here

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Amen. Jesus didn't want us segregated into different sections with differing ways of doing things.

I detest denominations. I was raised Methodist but now I'm just a follower of Jesus.

I go to a non-denominational Bible church. I love it. It's the best way I think. Sitting down going through an entire book of the Bible in a semester and really getting applicable truth in it.

6. I'm in a Baptist church right now, but denominations aren't too important to me. I'm also in a Praise band and we play any denomination of church, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Church Of God, etc... The only thing i can think of to tell you is that Baptists and Methodists seem to be a bit more traditional. Though there are exceptions.

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Yes, but I did have something to contribute. In no way did I suggest that my own personal outcome should be yours.

8. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Thats what Im trying to say I suppose. Ive always gone to rather traditional churches, pretty much methodist and episcopalian exclusivly. Im not sure I would even know what to expect from a non denominational church.

My goal is to find somewhere Im really happy with and then try and work towards a confirmation with said church.

9. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    YES, the new testament [paul i believe] says not to divide ourselfs into sub groups but unite simply as believers in christ;

10. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Ok, this is the last thing Im going to say on this because I dont want this thread closed, nor do I want it to turn into a debate.

I said non-Christians, meaning, if youre not a Christian Church goer, I dont want to have to hear about what you have to say on the matter.

11. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Most non denominational churches are FULL OF LIFE. No boring repeditive preaching here! God does not want you to be traditional, where it becomes more and more upon the act of going to church thats important. Im sure you know its not! Best way I describe non denominational churches are, they simply preach and live the bible. They drop any meaningless rituals.

12. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    :rolleyes:

13. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Just ignore that ^

14. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I thought his advice was very pertinent. Religion is a personal thing, read up on the different denominations and see which one fits you best and that you identify with most.

15. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I'm amazed this thread isn't locked yet, in fact I'm posting in it against my better judgment. Not only is it directly discussing religion, but the OP is trying to discriminate against anyone that doesn't agree with his own religious views from posting here.

just wow

16. Where do you live/are going to live when you get out the the service? I go to a non-denominational church myself, but I have nothing against denominations. I started going there because my parents go there, I have stayed going there because I believe the church preaches the bible and more importantly Christ. I also have a lot of friends there and I get to play bass and guitar on the worship team.

lowsound

17. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Inactive

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Hes doing it to keep an argument from happening.

If this threads offensive to anyone, but health insurance and gay threads AREN'T. Then Talk Bass is biased and I will no longer be a supporting member.

18. Holy War

Holy War

Sep 18, 2008
    VA Beach
    Im not getting out anytime soon to be honest, and I will be moving around a TON, so that is kind of a problem.

19. That is a problem. IMO churches are some place to put down roots and that is hard to do if you are moving around a lot. I am partial to churches that have Reformed beliefs.

lowsound

20. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    No religion and no politics, what's biased about that? Banning those topics doesn't indicate support of EITHER side of those subjects, basically the exact opposite of "biased."

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.