1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for the DR users out there?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by madbassplaya, Mar 11, 2013.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I've got my Stingray 5 HS up for sale currently but I'm considering picking up a set of DR's to try before I move it.

Why? I'm generally not happy with the B string on basses but in the past DR's B string seems to sound pretty good to me.

I'm leaning towards Nickel Low Riders or DDT's.

Any thoughts between those two?
    Also, which do you guys prefer for their B's? A .125 or .130?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    I actually like .125 and .130 Fat Beams and Hi Beams B strings. I also like how the Sunbeam B is sounding on my Clement as well.

Never enjoyed the Lo Riders B string and the Roto's B string I used wasn't too stellar either.

I like flexible B strings I guess.

3. awamori

awamori

Dec 10, 2009
    The DDT's are great strings if you're considering drop tuning the bass otherwise get the Nickel Lo-Riders.

I prefer a .130 Low B because it has a bit more "power" than a .125 gauge string.

4. zcwilkes

zcwilkes Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Barboursville, WV
    I'm an experienced DR user and a 5/6 stringer. I use lo-riders 95% of the time but I've never used the DDTs. I think those are for DROP D Tuning (or tuning down in general)? Anyway since I was absolutely no help on that part I always go for the .130 B string especially if your worried about it being floppy or lifeless. The tension will be greater. I have tried the .125 and I didn't like it.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I don't mind flexible B strings. :)

I have generally preferred a tighter string and that's why I was leaning towards the other two. Maybe I should try a round core.

The DDT's can be used for standard tuning as well. Jeff Berlin endorses them as his favorite string. The 5 string set could be tuned B-G with no problems.

6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Anymore thoughts? Hoping to place an order today. :)

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    If you want steels...FatBeams :)

8. cm3ohana

cm3ohana Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2005
    +1 for the Lo-Riders. I tried Sunbeams and the B was a little too floppy for me but I'm liking tension of the 130 Lo-Riders. Never tried DDT's so sorry can't provide any input for those strings.

9. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Decided on Nickel Low Riders for now. :)

10. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    You should be happy with the nickel lows, I've had a pair on my 55-94 for 5-7 years.

11. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    The same set?

12. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I am a total DR guy, I use a .125 but I am running that on a Carvin. Although I don't think DR's will improve the EB B, it might make it slightly less sloppy but I wouldn't expect it to blow your mind.

EB recommends .130 and I would probably use something thicker for an EB as well because their B is sloppy in my experience.

I use all kinds of DR but I prefer hi-beams, I like Marcus Miller's as well. I haven't used DDT's for years as they are designed for drop tunings and I prefer to play in standard.

13. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    To the OP, I have no experience with Nickel Lo Rider or DDT B strings but I do have good results with 135 gauge Hi Beams on 34" scale basses. I usually tune 1/2 step flat and still retain good tension with the clear, articulate sound that Hi Beams are known for. Let us DR fanboys know what you think after you try some!!

14. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    While the Lo Rider B may have been more forgiving with technique, it just felt more muted and artificial when compared to other B's like the Fat Beams, or my other favorite which are Fodera's.

15. liveburning274

liveburning274 Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    I just got some Nickle Lo-Riders for my Ray35 and they have really brought some amazing life to the bass once I swapped them out for the Slinky's that were on there. They mellow really nicely and I've found that the .130 B cleans up a bit as it gets played. The tension is really nice for a lower action, even on the B.

16. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    Nope but only on the second. I keep a set of strings on until they will no longer intonate. I'm a geezer and think highs are for gui****s and slapping is what girls do when they fight. I turn off tweeters and my custom cab will be built without one

Actually the 55-94 only got used one set a night and since the demise of that band it is all about the P5.

17. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    Srsly?

18. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Don't judge me! :D

Seriously though, I've used MM basses before and I've used DR before but it had been a while.

I was really trying to go for balanced tension on the bass but I'm not willing to play with a super light gauge for the B to be standard size and I'm not willing to go up to a HUGE gauge for a B string either.

I was also really frustrated with the bass when GHS Pressure Wounds didn't sound as good as I had hoped. I used them on an ash/maple ray once and they were KILLER, on this bass they just don't sound the way I'd like. Gonna give DR a try. Really liked their strings in the past, I just hate spending so much on strings when their are other brands that sell strings much cheaper. If it works, it works though!

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I'm with you on slapping and my custom LDS does not have a tweeter either!