question for the experienced

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by password, Jun 2, 2003.

1. password

Jul 28, 2002
    Is it possible to run two combo amps off of the same bass if you buy a cable that plugs into your bass and then has a Y or two plug-ends on the amp side of the cable. Or am i way off in left field.

-------- combo amp1
    -------- combo amp2
  2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes. To the first question, I mean.
  3. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Yeah. Or, you can just stack the amps or slave one. I gotta think about this... I haven't done it in along time... Stacking is when you run from the effects loop of one amp into the input of another. Slaving is when you run from effects loop to effects loop. Both work well but offer different possibilities.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I've done it before with my bass into the input then a wire going from the output of the amp into the input of another amp..
    Man that room is huge! Thank goodness its now replaced with an EBS 4x10 and an EBS HD350 head is coming soon :)
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    yes, get a a/b box. you can run a or b or both.
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Amps, maybe? Moved.
  7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    An active bass will have no problem driving both parallel input impedances.

A passive bass might get loaded down enough to alter the tone somewhat, but you could probably get much of it back through EQ.
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I hope you mean the line out, not the speaker out.

Never connect a speaker out with anything else than a speaker or a load box (power brake), at least not another (pre)amp input.
  9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    haha yes
    and dont use the speaker out!!!!!!!!!!1
    my favorite trick is to plug into one amp that has a tuner output
    i route the tuner output to the second amp's instrument level input on the front of the amp.
    the tuner level output is usually the least affected by the amps tone controls, etc and usually only gets it's gain from stage # 1 of the tube (if any)
  10. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Yes I mean line out.. oopsies! :p