Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for the experts about the value of an old Bow I found

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by telarcfatigue, Dec 3, 2002.

1. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    hello ! It's been a while since I've posted, but I decided to go on an internet fast for a few months--
    Anyway, I was wondering if someone could estimate the value of a nice bow I was lucky enough to find at a pawn shop recently:
    Ernst Heinrich Roth, silver on what looks to be Pernambuco, french frog, great shape, full size bass bow, pearl eye, name stamped in the wood, as is W. Germany----I'm having it rehaired now, I can't wait to use it, I was wondering what it may be worth, I'm planning on insuring it with my bass for 2003-----Thanks guys, hope everyone has been doing well, and is having a nice holiday season----peace---

2. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    Sounds just like mine. It was the surprise package came with a distressed old Kay I bought a few years ago, for 110$. The Kay's been fixed,the bow was appraised at a grand. Your rehairer should be able to appraise yours. I like mine, though I have not compared many since I gained some proficiency.
    It's your basic pernambuco French stick. Happy sawing!

3. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    63 views and 1 reply? Ok---guess my bow must not be very exciting!!!----I knew there was a reason I'd been woodshedding, and not web-surfing/posting----thanks anyway!

4. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    BTW---thanks Fred, for your reply, I appreciate it---

5. If I don't know, I don't know. What do you expect?

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I guess a warmer 'welcome back', which Telearc does have coming.

Welcome back.

7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Back atcha, Tel. Fred...nice deal! Bargains like that give me hope.

8. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    right on--thanks for the help and welcome---I just got the bow back from the shop, mongolian white,a light rub o' Pops, and it plays and feels great--guess 29.93 with tax was worth it on this puppy--now I'm just deciding if I'll be able to stick with french,I've been playing german----i guess I'll play both frogs--I'm a jack of all trades anyway, bass, guitar, banjo, piano, fluglehorn, pedal steel, vocalist, arranger, producer, and studio engineer--oh well---anyway, this board has been invaluble to me in learning and studying the upright, I've read hundreds and hundreds of posts, and trough that learned multitudes I did not know about "legitimate" strings, as well as most of the regular posters personalities---so thanks to all of you cats----Anyway, Ray Parker and Ed, I hope to catch you guys playing when I move to Bleeker and Sullivan in January----

9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    That should be a neat neighborhood to live in. And expensive. Maybe Ed and I can pool our fortunes and buy you a slice when you get here.

10. telarcfatigue

telarcfatigue

Mar 16, 2002
    Yes, I know the cost of living will be a bit higher than LA, possibly, but thank goodness my girlfriend has been been savvy enough to hang on to her apt. there while we've been in LA---10 years she's kept it, rent control---$750 a month-----Sometimes things DO work out----ANyway, thansk God for rent control!!!-----Hope to see you guys in the city---

11. Fred W

Fred W

Feb 21, 2002
    Bronx, NY
    K_TEL TIRED:
    Did you ever get your bow professionally appraised?And did you ever move to the Village?