1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for the experts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by durarl, Apr 22, 2009.

  1. durarl


    Oct 29, 2007
    I am helping a friend with a guitar project, and I wanted your opinions. My friend bought a cheep Les Paul Junior, with the flat top, and he wants to remove the top quarter inch, and replace it with some really nice wendge wood. (He has an uncle with Wendge trees). With out a planar, how could he remove the quarter inch, with the surface still being perfectly flat? Any help you guys can give would be great.
  2. It is much easier to do this with the neck off - but even with the neck still in, it is possible (and tricky!) to do this with a router. You basically have to have it ride on rails and knock the thickness down that way.

    Wenge trees? Your friend's uncle lives in Africa?
  3. derekd


    Feb 16, 2009
    I guess the other way to do it would be with a commercial belt sander. The kind with a conveyor belt. You would run it thru a few times to get the desired thickness. Wenge top on a LP JR sounds a bit like putting pearls on a pig, but hey, he would have the only one in town! :D

    Let us know if you guys do this. I would be very curious about how it turns out.
  4. Or, take it to a commercial wood shop and ask them to run it thru their planer. That may cost you $10
    After you cut the Wenge tree down, what are you going to do?
    You may want to look into buying Wenge, the correct thickness and correctly dried from a wood supplier.
  5. durarl


    Oct 29, 2007
    We were thinking about doing the router trick, so I was glad to hear someone else have the same idea.

    By the way, I made a mistake, the wood is actually osage orange. It is a midwest thing. Thanks guys.

Share This Page