1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for the Jaco tone guys

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by project_c, Nov 9, 2019.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Question just for those of you who prefer a 'bridge pickup / treble almost off' tone - if you love your live sound, what amps / cabs are you using?

I know Genz / Markbass stuff works pretty well, wondering what else people are using. I use a Genz Shuttle and love this tone for my jazz trio stuff, but I think it could do with some extra beef. I normally boost lows and low-mids, and I actually cut some hi-mids sometimes to pull out some of the honk, but I'm wondering if I should look into something that's a bit more vintage-voiced. Any suggestions?

2. grouse789

grouse789 Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2004
    Westchester NY
    My Aguilar J60's in bridge and tone hammer pedal w/sweepable mids DI-FOH gets me there.

project_c likes this.
  3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    When I aim for that kind of tone I don't roll the treble/tone control off all the way ... FWIW. IMO/IME, the Mesa WD800 does a fine job of getting the Jaco-esque sort of tone.

4. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Yeah, neither do I, I find it best around 3/4 of the way off, but it really depends on the bass and how old the strings are on it. Thanks for the WD800 suggestion!

5. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    With the caveat that I usually use both J pickups at full , but since i started using v3 Rumble cabs, the out of phase scoop of the J bass with both pickups cranked makes it really hard for me to hear myself in the mix the way i want with the Rumble cabs. The silver lining maybe is that these cabs seem to work ok for a bridge pickup sound, bc what the cabs lack in definition prevents them from sounding too harsh with a soloed bridge pickup, and the heavy low mids emphasis inherent to the Rumble cabs gives a welcome boost in the frequencies needing some help when soloing the bridge. Bridge pickup soloed and low bass eq boosted , then mids and treble set to taste seems to get the Jaco sound going. My instinct would be to try tweeter off, btw. Come to think of it I will try this whole approach tonight on a cover band gig....

project_c likes this.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've found that soloing the bridge pickup and touch cover most things. No need for EQ tweaks. Unless the amp is heavily voiced I turn it up and leave it flat.

I got a killer Jaco vibe today at rehearsal with a Brubaker KXB5 with Bartolini soaps and Dunlop flats through an oooold Peavey 115 combo. No tweaks on the bass or amp.

7. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    I’ve seen it work as u describe, when using flatwounds, as u are. But using rounds, I personally need some low bass eq help. Jaco himself claimed to have his bass eq dimed and to only use the bridge pickup, but he famously only used Rotosound stainless rounds, a far cry from flatwounds. Obviously, YMMV, depending on strings, cabs, rooms, taste, stuff, things, etc.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I agree with you, Brad.

And IMO and IME I feel digging in a bit while playing over the bridge pickup gets me a good Jaco-type of tone. Although I haven’t been able to cop this sound very well with my P-Bass.

pellomoco14 likes this.
  9. When I was first chasing Jaco's sound I only had Peavey gear which got me pretty close with a stock J. Later i modded my J to get a more practical variety of sounds with area J pups and a pair of tone caps I could select that both give it a darker sound than the standard value, with a switch to bypass the tone knob. it's fretted & has roto 66 (the sheehan set, good to pair with the area J). Other than being fretted it's all I could ask for; I also have fretless J & PJ (model J set & roto 88, model P/model J & roto 77 respectively) and the same tone cap mod.

The Jaco sound is relatively easy to cop on any decent ss amp. When I bought one of my fretless J's it was strung with rounds and the brief time I kept it that way it and a Peavey Mark VIII through both my Acoustic 410 & later Carvin 410 was almost exact. The sound we all want to copy was through Acoustic 18" cabs, but based on my experience a quality cab and turning any tweeter low or off is just fine, its more the player and the amp than it is the bass and cab.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

This. Should've mentioned it. The attack is key. It's round but insistent.

Edit: I forgot that I did mention it.
    :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    project_c, Kaplan and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings

I'm not saying that I need flats to get it, just that's what I got it on today. I get in on all of my fretlesses strung with rounds and most of my two pickup fretted gigging basses... still with no EQ tweaks.

pellomoco14 and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  12. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Aguilar, Hartke and about eq - you are doing just fine.

project_c likes this.
  13. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    A vintage Acoustic 360 will do the job, if you can find one.

StingRay85 likes this.
  14. Ekulati

Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    Well, it's a thankless task but somebody's gotta do it: tone is ONLY in the fingers. Has nothing to do with strings, pickups, amp, cab, or eq settings.

Carry on, I've done my job here. ;)

pellomoco14 likes this.
  15. Jaco didn't roll off the tone on his bass.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  16. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    Ever?

pellomoco14 likes this.
  17. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Alembic SF2. Just freakin fantastic. Allows me to beef up whatever is needed or even cut if need be. Highpass, lowpass, bandpass.

project_c likes this.
  18. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    Ah yeah..... dealt with this for a while.

Even have an Acoustic 370 in storage.
    [​IMG] Berg.

But after all my playing for decades, and going through a lot of different amp selections.

Bergantino is best....... currently running a dual Schroeder cab system (three 12s in all) and a Berg B|Amp.

project_c likes this.
  19. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    LoL, ok, good to know, i guess i have the wrong fingers bc i find so much use for EQ knobs, different amps, etc, i guess I’m doing it wrong!

cheechi likes this.
  20. Well, I can't say that he NEVER rolled off his tone pot but from all of the recordings I have of him, and I have a LOT, I can hear lots of clear tone from those roundwounds, and I'd bet (most of) the ranch that the tone pot was open full.. Harmonics won't sound that clear with the tone rolled off.
    What he did with the tone section of the amp is another story maybe.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019