Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for the masters

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bassnovice, May 4, 2005.

1. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Hey people
    I am pretty new to the bass as my name says and I have only been playing for 6 months or so. But I was trying to find out what is the difference between a bass pick and a guitar pick? Is it just the thickness? The guy who is teachin me how to play hates people who play with picks so I cant ask.

Thanks

2. chilipepperflea

chilipepperflea Guest

Apr 13, 2005
    East Anglia
    Hey,

I'm not experience, been playing slightly less time than you but in my belief, and from what i've heard bass picks and the stubbier ones, the fatter picks, where guitar picks are the thin picks.

However there are no rules to music! i dont like bass picks, ive tried but i whenever i need a pick for a song i go with a guitar pick, a lot more flexible and i feel i can do more, still get a good sound though.

Just try both and see what you prefer...

hope that helps, Ryan

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I also prefer guitar picks when I'm using one, but I prefer bass picks when I'm playing guitar...

4. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Thanks for the input. I think next time I go to Muso's i'll get a normal guitar pick and a bass one to.

5. chilipepperflea

chilipepperflea Guest

Apr 13, 2005
    East Anglia
    lol good stuff!

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  7. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Thanks for the welcome.

but to be fair I was actually asking about the picks themselves not a comparison be between picking and plucking

8. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
  9. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Yeh thanks if you look at my last post and highlight it you would of seen the same thing

10. Wow, that's not very open-minded (or dare I say professionnal?) from your "teacher". Many great bassists swear by the pick. There are some tones that you just can't get without a pick.

About the thickness of pick to use, I suggest you go to your music store and buy a handful of them, in various thicknesses, and then give each of them a good try. You may find that a certain thickness works well for some situations, while a thicker or thinner pick will be better for others.

I recommend those big Dunlop Tortex triangles, as they last three times longer than a conventionnal "tear drop" pick, since you use all three tips. I personnally used to play with .60mm picks, but now I use the 1.00mm ones. But I play 90% of the time fingerstyle.

11. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Whoops, missed that, thought it was just another pick vs fingers thread.

12. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG]

Jim Dunlop Stubbies are what I use. I like to use the same pick for each, I prefer having a strong touch.

13. Bassnovice

Bassnovice

May 4, 2005
    Well wha I said was a bit of an exaggeration he doesnt "hate" people who play with picks he just never uses them himself much and doesnt want me using them. Thanks ombudsman I might go and do that this weekend.
    Those picks look good bonscottvocals i'll see if they have any there.

14. bonscottvocals

bonscottvocals

Feb 10, 2005
    Upstate NY
    If you pick a bass, the 'best' sound comes from being anywhere from 1/2 the distance from the neck joint to the bridge back to the bridge. (I tend to pick with the heel of my picking hand directly over the bridge.) Because of that and that thickness of the strings, a heavy pick is definitely called for. I use fingers for long, slow, deep voiced sounds and for other such 'fat' tones. I like a pick for fast, stingier attacks that some players get with their fingers. Personally, I don't. Just like not everyone can sing the same notes, play the same way, etc, all fingers, all pick, or a mixture of both doesn't work for everyone. It's people who make the decision for others or make the decision for themselves w/out ever trying who are too narrow-minded to be teaching. That's because the act of learning should never end, and that includes trying new stuff and keeping old tricks fresh no matter how long you've been playing.

15. HeresToLife88

HeresToLife88

May 12, 2005
    Picks can be good stuff if you want to use them, i reccomend Fender Heavy or Extra heavy picks (if you can find them). These last long and are thick so they hit harder. I mostly do finger, it allows me to move much faster than with a pick, but it is true that with a pick u can get certain sounds that u cant with fingers.