1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for the Mematoma owners...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by olaff421, Apr 8, 2009.

1. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I recently went to what used to be a HBE dealer. When I asked why they stopped carrying them the owner said he had too many problems with the switches breaking. He also said that HBE said they addressed and fixed the problem, but he still had a bunch of pedals that the switch would fail in.

Has anyone had this problem with any HBE pedals?

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    nope. and mine has been passed around a bunch.

3. Never had an issue... Though I think I might be selling mine... It just doesn't measure up to the dirty channel on the AG500.

4. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    The guy I talked to wasn't much on the details of the problems, just said 'the switches kept breaking.' So I really have no idea. I've just been planning on getting a Hema for one of my dirt stages, and it kind of threw me off because I have heard nothing but good things about em.

Chris, if you do decide to sell yours, let me know.

5. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I have 2 HBE effects, Psilocybe and the Hematoma. Both were used when I got them and the switches are sturdy IMO.
    Over the years, I have seen lots of dealers drop brands (and also brands dropping dealers). Many dealers rag the brands they used to carry since it is in their interest for the customers not to look at thier former offerings.

6. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I've long since sold my Hematoma, but I never had any problems with it and I gigged with it a lot. On the other hand, it did experience a little trouble with the chicken head knob during shipping, but the new owner was able to straighten it out without too much trouble.

Sounds like my ex-girlfriend.

7. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    While I was there, I was thinking this. Just wanted to see what actual users thought.

8. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    yours too eh? or wait - don't tell me she's YOUR ex-gf too!

9. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I appreciate the answers. However it would be good if I got a few more HBE owners to chime in just to give more than 2-3 people.

10. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    do the 3+ other people who owned mine (one of the first 25) count?

Dude, switches break. It's a fact of life. No smallish pedalmaker makes their own switches. The dude at the music store was full of baloney. Case closed.

11. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    Dude, I know switches break. Dude, I know the owner is more than likely full of bologna (kind of bigger guy, so the deli meat applies too.) I just want to know if people have had issues right out of the box, which is what he was implying.

12. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Considering that this is the first thread I've seen even alleging that HBE has QC problems, I think it's safe to say that issues right "out of the box" hasn't been at all common.

13. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I opened my Hematoma and Psilocybe and looked at the footswitches. They are Cliff switches which are top notch. Saying that, any manufacturer can (and will) have a faulty batch that slips through QC. I been in manufacturing for almost 20 years and no QC department is 100%.
    I would not worry about the switches in the Hematoma no more than any other brand since they use good components. I plan to buy more HBE pedals because they flat out kick a$$. Reliability is important to me and HBE serves me well.