Question for the parents out there:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have to sell my girlfriends birthday present. She loves blink, and they are coming fairly close on the day before her b-day, so the logical gift is to take her to blink.

I plan it out...

I get 3 tickets. Me, Gabby, and my dad who will be taking us.

They were in Hawaii when I bought them, so I couldn't see if she could go before I bought.

I ask her dad if I can take her... I tell him my dad will take us and such, and be sitting with us, yada yada... He says "Sure. That will probably work. I need to run it by her mom, though."

Today, I am told to call around 7 pm to talk to her mom. Her dad answers, I ask for her mom, he says hang on a sec, then a few seconds later, he gets back on says "No, she cannot go. Its too far."

OK, fair enough... But what I'm pissed about is that I was told to call and talk to her mom, and she didn't even give me the time of day.

Her mom hates me as it is... I'm just not johnny-on-the-spot enough for her liking... and I don't kiss their asses.

She might think I'm trying to drive her to paso robles, 2 hours away, for the concert.... and her dad just forgot to mention that my dad would be with us at all times... I dunno.

My dad is a cop. 18 year veteran of the Kern County Sherrifs dpt... Now, wouldn't you feel rather safe letting your son/daughter go to a concert 2 hours away WITH A FRIGGIN COP?
  2. yes, yes I would.

I don't what her friggin deal is.

I say marry her. In a hillbilly town. Go to Arkansaw and marry her. Invite random people you see on the street, everyone but the mom.

Seriosuly, that sucks. Have you tried talking directly to her mom, adn maybe even having your dad there? :confused:

You could always tell your dad her mom said yes, then pick her up at like, midnight.

I should shut up now.
  3. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Be firm with her. Tell her, "that's ok, I'll take someone else. Bye." Don't take crap from her mom; she's probably just testing you.
  4. I had the similiar thing happen when i was in high school. I took my gf to a Pear Jam concert against her dads will, which was stupid because her dad is is an ex marine combat trainer. Well we got caught and i got my ass kicked to oblivion and back. And take my advice, if you dont wanna carry bruises around for a year , dont take her against her parents will.

.........great concert though
  5. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Take her anyway. Tell your dad they it's cool with her parents, and she can just tell her parents she's going to the mall that night. She leaves her house, goes to yours and you check out the band.

And you have no reason to be afraid of her dad...I mean, your dad is a cop right, so he has to have a gun, or at the very least pepper spray.
  6. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Is the mom 100% sure it will be with your pops? I am sure she knows who your pops is... Maybe she just doesn’t trust you that you won’t go alone

If so, Sounds like she is... well... "not a very nice person" is a G rated saying I guess.

Maybe ask her again if she says no, ask her to "if she doesn’t trust you, talk to your pops for reassurance and maybe explain to you and him why" :D it’s a bit lame, but if she doesn’t trust that your father will be with you, maybe he can reassure her.

If that doesn’t work tell your pops to give her few tickets, she needs to learn a lesson in being nicer.

Good Luck
  7. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    OR do what Lloyd did, go to her house, stand outside her mother window with boombox over your head playing "In Your Eyes"

C`mon, dont you people act like you dont remeber :D
  8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Indeed, good advice.

Mikey, if you ever happen to listen to me when you ask for my advice, your life will go much smoother lol

Don't do anything against her mothers wishes, as long as she is a minor, and/or living in her parents house, they own her. They can make both your lives really rough, better start kissing ass, and get used to it unless you want a rough road of things.
  9. omg that is my favorite movie of all time...
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I agree with SMASH.
  11. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Speaking as a father of a young girl, let me give ya some advice. Don't dare take the girl without parental permission!!! I know if a boy did that after he was told no, I would either beat him and/or have the law get involved. Don't mess with my babygirl! Wheh...sorry, that dad thing was kick'n in there. ;)

Have your dad go with you to speak to her parents. Make sure he is in uniform, badge, gun and all. Sometimes the uniform can be a little intimidating to people and maybe she won't be such a hater when you ask her face to face. I know if your dad spoke to me and gave me assurance he was going to be with you guys, I wouldn't have a problem. I think I'm very protective of my daughter and even I could live with that. Good luck.
  12. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    yeah, its pretty awesome:)

Soo, if i give you my heart, will you give me a pen?

PS, sorry for double post, didnt see what smash posted... i back him up... and if that dont work, i am telling you, boombox works everytime!
  13. While I respect the position of a father, I don't see how you could either beat anyone or get the police involved if that happened. The irony is that if they tried to get the law involved, MM's father would obviously have something to say about it. Nevertheless, if your dad, MM, is a cop, then I doubt that they would dare beat you. I don't see how you really can lose.

I think that SMASH is right and that you should try to reason with them through your father. If that fails, screw them. Any man with any sort of a brain would not beat the local cop's son and they would be smart enough to realise that they don't have any legal grounds (depending upon her age) to do anything.

I used to try my hardest with my gf's father and he was only ever jerk to me. I stopped trying and stopped caring and I became the one she respected. Moral of the story? If your gf's dad wants to act like a tool, let him. If you and her are serious, you're genuine and you treat her well, she'll end up choosing you over him. He'll be left to suck up to you so that he doesn't lose his little baby. And boy, doesn't that feel sweet... :smug:

14. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

I don't know, i think kids need a little beating once in a few, but that’s coming from a guy who had bigger shoes size then my pops by age of 9, beat this pops! :D

I say dating is overrated, just go for the mother and ask her out, see what goes :D :bag:
  15. Ain't nothing wrong with discipline, but her father shouldn't be the one to dish it out. There's discipline from parents and a complete beating from an irate gf's father. No matter what, he hasn't got a proverbial leg to stand on if he hit MM. These days parents haven't even got the right to discipline... :scowl:

16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    As a father of two teenage daughters, I need a bit more information. But first, I premise this by saying that I am not raising teenagers, I am raising adults. That's not an observation, but a statement of my role as a parent. My kids have been taught to make decisions based on understanding the risks and consequences. Sometimes, we step in if it's a little too much to handle.

Having a parent there gives me a big comfort level. If the dad is a dick, that's one thing. If he is a level headed guy, I'd jam money in my girls hand and tell her to go have fun. Kids have to learn to be responsible and be trusted.

Sounds like mom is a pyscho.

Is she a MILF? :D
  17. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
  18. If all fathers were like you, the world would be a better place. :)

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I never said I would beat a cops son. I said "If a boy..." I'm aware of the legalities of what would happen to me if I assaulted someone. Thats my choice which I would have to live with if I did. It would only be my first offense so I probably wouldn't get into too much trouble ;) I don't condone violence, btw, it was meant to show the anger I would have.

As for getting the law involved, his father doesn't have a say in the matter. He is sworn to enforce the law. I can have a restraining order put against boy and even one on his father, police officer or not. Plus, there are a few other legal avenues available to a parent(s).

Trust me, a father will do what a father feels they have to do. Right or wrong, thats the way it is.

I agree with bmc, I'm trying to raise an adult. I do trust my daughter (and son for that matter) to do the right thing. If I told her "No" and she went anyways, honestly, it would break my heart. I know it will happen someday :crying: I wouldn't "beat"( :rolleyes: ) her but there are plenty of other consequences she might face.
  20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Thanks for the compliment. We all try to do the best job we can. The truly sad part about it is knowing that whatever you do as a parent, or how loving you are, supportive you are, etc....your kids are going to have issues with you when they grow up. Show me someone that doesn't have issues with their parents.

Anyhow....I'll be doing some quality parenting tonight. The girls are taking me to see The Darkness and Muse. Big festival her called Paleo Festival. The Darkness go on at 7pm, Muse on at 11:45pm. I'm not taking the girls. They want me to go. They've been riased with music, have come to countless gigs, are have met many musicians, and have a great appreciation for all kinds of music. Tonight we'll be giving our hearing a workout.

Thanks Leigh