1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Question for the Peavey Fury freaks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DiabolusInMusic, Jun 3, 2014.

1. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I have a bass I bought to learn/butcher some things on. (I believe) it's a ('95) Peavey Fury Precision. It says it is crafted in U.S.A. S/N: 08924410. I am too lazy to take pics of an $80 bass, so for all intents and purposes, I don't actually own this bass. ;)

I am wanting to know when Peavey ran their American production. I am assuming this bass was fully built in America or was it built overseas and assembled in America? Did they manufacture all their lines domestically or were there only selected ones? Any amps made in America during this time?

I know I could just search this but I also know there are some Peavey fans just dying to talk Peavey. So enlighten me.

Also, what is up with the truss rod? It doesn't seem very reactive, it feels like it is just a cheap rod spinning in the neck. It isn't not seized or anything as it does seem to move fully in both directions.

Thanks!

2. Peavey Fury was originally a redesigned T-20 with that bass' slanted superferrite pickup, this was around 1987. By 1989 all Fury's had precision pickups. By 1991 Peavey switched to a smaller bodies and redesigned pickguards. Hardware was also changed at this time. Around 2000 most Peavey guitar manufacturing shifted overseas(excluding Cirrus and the last of the USA Milleniums). Most if not all Peavey amps were still made in the USA during the nineties, but this also started to shift overseas by the early 2000's, with only high end amps remaining USA made.

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Fwiw, my slant fury is an 83. I believe the changeover occurred with the headstock changeover from, for example "peavey foundation" to "foundation by peavey." Not sure of the year, but I want to say 87.

Any precision branded as a fury is MIA. The overseas furies (international series?) had 3 band preamps and soapbars, along with quilt maple tops on some models.

When I received my foundation a couple years ago, the truss nut had to be turned a good bit before it even touched the wood of the neck. I would do vast exploration of the truss before making any conclusions. Also, make sure you're using the right tool. I've had great success with this one from stewmac, and not so much with the allparts counterpart. http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Truss_Rods/Pocket_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html Item no.6106

4. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

If it says MIA, it's completely MIA.

5. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    $80 for MIA is not too bad, eh? :)

6. Runnerman

Runnerman Registered Bass Player Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011