Question for the speaker guru's

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by L-1329, May 6, 2005.

1. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I am starting to think I have a problem with my 115 cab. My setup is this: bass> Eden Navigator> QSC poweramp> Epifani 115, 410. The 410 sounds fantastic as ever, but the 115 has almost no low end. It sounds very much like it's being crossed over in reverse, not getting the deep lows. No, I do not have the crossover turned on! If I crank up the low filter on the Eden the lows seem to resurface, but only with it way up. I also have run both cabs off my R1000 head, and got the same results so I know it's not an amp problem. Has anyone ever heard of this scenario?

I am wondering if I have caused some speaker damage. I used to play in a LOUD band and at rehearsal's had my rig cranked, putting 800 watts on the 115. What I can't figure out is that the speaker works, no hiss or any other audible signs of damage, but just doesn't sound right. Any insights on this would be greatly appreciated!
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    1st thought was the speakers are out of phase, but boosting the bass would cause no bass boost if this was true. sounds like you creased the cone in your 15. take off the grille and have a look at it, doing a search for creased cone, cone creasing etc, should get you a thread with some good examples of creased cones. that can cause a good drop off in low end response.
  3. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    I will do that. Is it possible to damage the cone by running it to hard? I know that it has never been touched physically by anything. Can you tell that I know next to nothing about speakers? ;)

edit: Just read that link. Great info, and I will certainly look into this as a possible cause. Thanks...
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    um...........yeah it is. that's why they have wattage ratings on speakers. in this case you may have exceeded the xmax, which is the maximum excursion the driver can handle. in that case the cone obligingly tries to move out farther, and creases as a result. :meh:
  5. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Well I took off the grating and checked the cone out, and I can see no signs of creasing on it anywhere. I am not going to atempt anything more complicated than that myself, but would like to know what happened to this cab. I would appreciate any other ideas, and I think I will put a call in to Epifani to try to figure this out...
  6. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    do you have a local speaker store/repair shop in the area ...we have one in Mass that I use to test out my speakers. only takes a min to test it ..

check yer yellow pages.. :crying:
  7. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    How big is the box for this particular Epifani 15? It's hard to get low lows out of big speakers without big boxes; I know I have an Eminence 15 in a small box that makes a lot of sound but very little below 70hz. This is a consideration, you just may not have a cab that's geared towards the low frequencies you want to hear, despite the fact that the driver is 15" across. Is this a cab that other users report feeling deep fundamentals in?

If it once worked better than it does now though, which I couldn't tell from your post, you'll have to take the speaker out and take a look and/or have a tech look at it, because it shouldn't have less bass response unless it's broken.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm also leaning towards the "out of phase" answer.

Does the Epi sound OK if you play through it by itself?

Are you familiar with the 9v battery test for speakers? If not, we can talk you through it. It's very easy to do and it answer the phase question very quickly.
  9. Out of phase sounds right to me. Try the cabs individually and together and compare bass response.

My QSC poweramp uses binding posts and it is easy to accidentally wire two cabs out of phase with them.
  10. L-1329

Aug 8, 2004
    Again I appreciate the input. The Epifani had not always sounded like this, this is something recent. Also I have tried it solo many times, from different heads as well and always get the same tone. I have tried it with the amp bridged, with the correct wired speakon, as well as in parallel from each channel. Still the same response so I am convinved the problem is in the speaker somewhere.

It was a very full and sweet cab when I first got it, and I need to find and fix whatever is wrong. Anyone have any idea how much either a driver, cone or whole speaker might cost? Better start preparing for the worst...
  11. It's entirely possible your input jack is wired out of phase. The nine-volt trick will tell you VERY quickly.