Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Question for the speaker mavens

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. PhunkyPants, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    I bought a nice condition GS115 from a fine fellow I know and in the process of getting the cab shipped to me, the speaker was damaged and now needs replacing (the magnetic pole of the speaker somehow shifted, which did something to the voice coil)

Anyway, the shop says a replacement Aguilar speaker is $169 plus shipping, but that I may also want to consider an Eminence Kappa 15. According to the repair guy, Eminence makes both, but the Kappa 15 is $25 or so cheaper.

Anybody have any views on which is the better choice?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Whichever would fit the box best, I mean in terms of T-S parameters.

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    If you have the $, get ths Aggie one; its designed for the cab.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I'd be proud to be running an Aggie. I wouldn't want to make it into anything else, unless I had real good engineering reasons or something.

Joe

5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    aggie. IIRRC, eminence makes the driver for the cab anyway, but does so to aggie's specs (just like eminence does for countless other box builders). go with the aggie speaker designed for the cab. and any chance you can have aggie/eminence recone the one you already have?? it seems silly to turn it into a boat anchor.