1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Question for the Spector folks...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

I am seriously considering trading off my RIC 4003 (2011 model) and have been considering a Spector. I am wondering, as I have little to no knowledge of Spectors, from a value point of view, what an even trade for a RIC would net me in the Spector world.
    Would it be unreasonable to expect a USA Spector in exchange for a RIC?
    Thanks for your advice!
    Fishheadjoe

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    New USA Spectors go for a little more than double what new Rickenbacker 4003's go for.

I'd say you'll probably have to add some around $1k or more to trade up to a US Spector.

If you go Euro, you could probably ask for a couple hundred.

3. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    For a new USA Spector? Yes.
    For a used Spector that was valued about the same as your Ric, not at all.

4. Sucks to hear this but I'd save up for a Euro Spector. The Ric is its own beast, the Spector will be a different flavor; both useful but different. I find Spectors to be more hi-fi and a little unforgiving tonally than more vintagey sounding passive basses.

Don't expect a straight trade for a US Spector, the Euros are solid basses though and I'd say %90 percent of the US versions in terms of quality.

5. Thanks for the quick replys folks... good to know.
    The RIC was my way of going back in time, to the 80's when I bought my first bass... a Fireglo RIC. I have had it for a year now and I just can't seem to bond with it... I hardly ever reach for it and when I do, it doesn't last very long.
    I know I could easily sell it, but I got to thinking about possible trades I could get for it and I have always admired Spectors...
    Again, thanks for the info.
    Fishheadjoe