Question for the 'techie' types

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bottomdweller, Mar 19, 2003.

1. I just bought a Peavey RJ-4. It has active electronics that I'm having a problem with. When I pluck it hard,especially on the 'g' string it distorts. I changed the battery and tied it through different amps and it does the same thing. I don't get any clip lights on the amp,so I'm pretty sure the distortion is from the bass and not the amp. I'm wondering if my preamp is fried.:confused: :meh:

Any input would help. Thanks...
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It is very possible to clip the preamp in the bass just as you would an outboard preamp.

There may be a trim pot in the control cavity that you clould trim back a bit. If not, the answer is simple: Don't pluck so hard.

3. What Chasarms said. If your technique is such that it clips the preamp too often, consider lowering the pickups.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I looked at your profile and noticed you were using an Eden amp. Does that model have an 'input pad' button? Reason I ask - and this is just a guess - is this:

I seem to remember reading in the manual for my SWR amp (which has separate 'active' and 'passive' inputs), that one symptom of needing to use the 'active' padded input is distorted sound that happens even though the clip light isn't coming on at all.

I may not be remembering this correctly, since I've never had this problem with any of my basses, but I thought I'd share the thought.

5. jivetkr

May 15, 2002
    try to lower the pickup on the treble side.

i had a similar problem with the g string on my old stingray. it turned out the pickup was too high on the treble side.
  6. I've tried using the lo gain inpur and got the same results. I will try lowering the treble side of the pickups. That might help. I hadn't thought of that. I already looked for a trim control. It has a switch to increase the gain,I have it off.
    As far as not plucking so hard, when I say hard, it really isn't that hard. I'm a pretty 'light-handed' player. So, I don't think that's the problem.
    Thanks for the input. I'll try a few things and let you know how it goes. :bassist: :D